Where To Strengthen S7 For Sva

Guest Kim

I have got a unbuilt S7 Stainless Mk 2 delux.

Does anyone have photos or information on where to strengthen the chassis to meet the current SVA because as you all probably know it was never designed to meet the SVA requirements.

I have been advised by other members to take a look at the engine bay area where some have shown signs of cracking but has anyone actually carried out work on this area and could give me some pointers. It has also been sugested I may need a additional bar behind the seats to attach the seatbelts as it is no longer permissible to attach to the back of the boot as in the manual.

Any other positive help would be usefull.

Kim

Kim,

I have added Stainless Steel strengthening plates behind the seats (thread on here somewhere in my previos posts last autumn). No cracking YET anywhere to be seen. I was not aware of the seat belt mounting issue. My car was built and registered pre SVA. I know it is possible to fit inertia reel seat belts using the roll bar as a mounting point. Hope this helps.

Steve

This could be controversial and i would be happy to hear from anyone who has had an SVA refused because of the rear mounting of the belts on a series 3 , was this due to the structural integrety or the SVA reference height. I may have to weld extra to the rear seatbelt, roll bar attachment however what i have done is to weld a substantial tube across the roll bar at a height a little higher than the SVA reference height, the detachable roll bar also has thick steel plates under the tubes where it rests on the boot floor and i have had 2 tubes welded in to the down tubes to stop the M12 bolts crushing the roll bar tubes, plus the original u clamps.

As i understand the regs, there is not an SVA issue with the monocoque chassis strength, the strengthning are modifications made by hoodies after getting their cars on the road.

Other areas i have added a bit of extra is the diff mounting in the boot, i have added a big plate to help spread the stress, have added angle iron to run front to back from the gearbox support to the rear lip and then cross members bolted to the rear lip and across the front of where the seat mounting bolts go through.

I will be interested to hear the SVA problems of any monocoque cars.

Guest AWhite

My friend has just got through SVA without strengthening the S7. He did however have to get a tube welded across the roll bar to mount the seat belts.

He also had to make some covers for the front suspension components and make a rolled end for his exhaust pipe as the S7 one was a sharp edge.

I think the other stuff he struggled with was pretty much the same as an any other Robin Hood.

Graham from Robin Hood is now offering services for advice etc on getting people ready for SVA. Look in the latest club mag.

Andy

Thankyou all for your advice, it seems things may not be as bad as I was led to believe. I was worried I might be building a kit that might struggle to meet a current SVA, so it's full steam ahead and see what happens.

Kim

Guest mikea

I am building a "new" series three (not many around according to NW hoodies site.

Can anyone clarify the issue with regard to seatbelt mountings. Mine are three point harnesses with the top mounting bolted through tubes inserted and welded through the cross bar on the roll cage (which I believe is OK?).

I am concerned that three not four point fitting may be an issue.

Guest AWhite

Mikea,

You can get away with a normal seat belt which is a one point harness so you will be ok with a 3 point one.

Below is a picture (very poor) of the roll bar and what my friend did. The horizontal bar was added by a professional welder.

Andy

post-3-1143533778.jpg

What about strengthening where the rear axle bolts to the floor? Our SVA examiner checked that area and commented that he was pleased to see steel plate rather than the thin stainless of older monocoque models, which he would have failed.

Guest AWhite

Oh didn't mention anything like that for my mate. I guess it depends on examiner and perhaps my mate had put a bigger plate there anyway.

I wonder if i can get him to make a list of things he had to change.

Andy