What Head Have I Got ?

Guest john

Thanks Chris,

Based on the valve sizes and most of the codes it has to be a 2.0. maybe the long number is a ford casting drawing number or something like that.

I thought i read somewhere that the 2.0 and 1.6 heads were different in the size / capacity of the combustion chamber ? If thats not the case, these heads are virtually interchangeable except for the cam ?

Just a thought, or am i missing something ?

A good topic for discussion on weds night methinks ;) . are you bringing spanky ? Do you want to call in here first and drive over together ?

A good topic for discussion on weds night methinks  ;) .  are you bringing spanky ?  Do you want to call in here first and drive over together ?

Hi John

Sounds like it will be a good topic for Weds night. Yes will be bring spanky along (if the weather holds out :unsure: :wacko: ) and Becky too :D as we have a sitter for that night ;)

Will call in as we are going to be going pass your place anyway & have a look that this head you have got. Before we drive to the meeting. Just let me know a time to be there.

• 17 years later...

I am exhuming this old thread because I have a very similar question I'd like to share. I have a 2.0 L Pinto, from a 1968 Sierra, I'd always thought it was a leaded head and have been using additives. Now I have it out of the car ready for reconditioning, I thought I'd check it for what is stamped on the head. As per advice in this thread I looked at the flat face next to number four spark plug, and saw a sort of asterisk stamped, so assumed a leaded head. However on cleaning up a similar face near number 4 exhaust port I see a letter stamped, which with the head in its normal orientation looks like an odd shaped "d", Turning the photo I took upside down, the letter looks more like a P. I have searched in loads of forums for use of a letter "d" in a pinto head to no avail. So I am now assuming that this head might be an unleaded head with the letter "P" stamped upside down near number 4 exhaust port. What do other members think ? ... photos attached.

Pinto-head-mark-near-no-4-exhaust-port.jpg.c26fbd6fc111d1846673a865a26ad165.jpgPinto-head-mark-near-no-4-spark-plug.jpg.2414b9668b388a6d0b4057a64be75959.jpg