Progress

Guest docter fox

James, could be failed thermostat, cooked when last overheated? is the top hose/radiator getting hot? an airlock in the water system? leave it ticking over without the rad cap on to release any air, if the heater is cold sounds like a circulation, or lack of water problem.

Peter

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest docter fox

yeh the top hose and radiator are both getting hot, I left the engine running without the cap whilst I had tea ;) I was careful in filling it all up so I don't think it's an air lock :unsure:

Thanks for the idea Peter, I'll check the thermostat tomorrow :)

water.....out.....in bursts as if it was in time with the pistons
If its just one piston pressurising the cooling:

Tickover = 800rpm

Pressure strokes per piston = 400pm = 6.6 strokes per sec.

Not sure you would see 6.6 squirts per sec, certainly can't count them but you might get the impression of pulsing.

Cost of head skim and seats about £50 in Plymouth but don't go on cost, use someone recommended who can leave the 45 cut a specified width and diameter. Get hold of Vizards book on tuning pintos for all the measurements you want to ask for.

Talking about water pulsing in time with the pistons at 6.6 pulses per sec makes me think of sparks. There are two sparks per revolution. Imagine the poor old points and coil trying to keep up at 6000 rpm. 12,000 sparks per min = 200 per second, all accurately timed and big enough to fire the cylinder charge!

Nigel

Guest docter fox

I knew that :ph34r: I have enough problems with 6000 rpm for now... lol since I changed the head I havn't had the same problem with water anyway :)

still running a bit hot but not as much, the head's been sat in the garage for a few years, could this have something to do with it? seems to be getting a bit better...

I just wanted a rough idea on price as some people try to rip me off because of my age ;)