Front Suspension Tap Required

Guest ashleybanks

Guest ashleybanks

I had my wishbones powder coated by a company, unfortuntley it was a cash in hand job so no come back on the dodgy job they done. When they powder coated the wishbones they didn't cover the hole that the top ball joint screw into. I have managed to buy a bolt with the same thread and size, grinded a couple of cutting edges into it but unfortuntley this bolt was not really long enough it cleared a little bit up can someone advise on a possible fix to clear it out was thinking of buying a tap can someone advise on which one would fit as I'm not entirley sure on how the measurements are taken.

Thanks

Ashley Banks

First Time Post.

Guest chris brown
I have managed to buy a bolt with the same thread and size, grinded a couple of cutting edges into it
that’s about the best way of cleaning the threads as the cost of a tap that size would be expensive to say the least just try finding a longer bolt or use one of the trackrod ends (top ball joints) with a grove cut in the first couple of threads it would mean taking it on and off lots to clear the slot and as they end up a long way on damage to the first couple of threads will not matter.

:wub: Up's forgot to welcome you to the site Ashley BTW fill in your profile so people know where you are. Also if you are going to Stoneleigh then come and join us on the RHOCaR area and have a chat there will be lots of us there. ;) :D

Guest ashleybanks

Thanks for that I considered using ball joint ends but when I pushed it in a little it looks like it damages the thread. so am a little reluctant to push it in further would rather clear the threads out first. I have been searching for a while for a longer bolt but have not been lucky although managed to find a very good helpful company though called quality suppliers in hersham, surrey very handy.

How much we talking for a Tap? roughly

Guest TerryBarry

THIS should give you some idea.

I'm not sure what thread the balljoint has it measures about 18mm and could be M18 Fine.

As it's original function was on a Ford Transit it could also be 11/16 UNF.

Your supplier should have a set of thread pitch gauges.

Guest Ian & Carole

Ashley

Have you got a welder ?

If so you could always cut the head of the bolt you have used so far and weld a smaller size bolt to your origional one, make sure you dress the joint well so that it won't damage any threads and away you go.

The heat from the welding souldn't bother the hardness too much if you are only cleaning out paint.

HTH,s

Ian J

Guest mark kingston

put in your location.

I think i have a 18mm fine thread tap at work if it turns out to be that size.

I am located in west sussex, is that any where near you?

mark kingston

Guest ashleybanks

Mark,

I work near Farnham which is close to West Sussex so maybe I could take the Wishbones off and bring them to you if its any where near. That is a very kind offer. I guess travelling a few miles would be far cheaper than buying one and prehaps I could take a butchers at yours to.

I've just filled out my application form to become a member of the RHOCAR club and will send it off today. Not sure how it works but I presume there are meets that I can goto. looking at this forum everyone seems to want to help each other out. Wish I had found it sooner hopefully I can contribute a little rather than just keep asking questions!

Thanks again.

Charles thanks for the offer also!

We do have a section for "Wanted" which is where this SHOULD BE, however as it's a first time post and first offence I will let this slide.

On a side note I have a m18 x 1.5 (should be the right size) and I'm down the road in Farnborough...

Guest mark kingston

hi well the factory is in littlehampton but i live in bognor regis. i feel maybe this is now probably not relavent as Matt is a lot nearer you and is also a wealth of information having already built one car and is in the process of building his second one.

regards

Mark kingston

Guest ashleybanks

Matt,

If you could help out that would be great name the time and place I'll take the wishbones off the car and bring 'em long. I to actually work in Farnborough so anytime of day would be fine.

Sorry about posting in the wrong area I didn't realise I'd get offers.

I might actually be coming up to Stoneleigh aswell prehaps I can meet up with you all there.

I've been in wales this weekend hence havn't reploed sooner.

Thanks

Ashley

Guest Lotus Eater

If it is a Metric M18 Fine Try Tracy Tools 01803 833 134 Taps were £10.00 recently. To determine the thread size measure the outside diameter exactly. Should be 18.0 mm then measure the thread pitch or numbers of threads per inch. Convert this to a metric pitch per thread and look up what an M18 should be. For example an M18 has a pitch of 1.5mm so if you count the threads per INCH you should get almost 17 tpi. This equals an Imperial pitch of 0.059" or 1.5mm (if that is what the thread is ) See the thread section on my Webpage for full details on ALL threads. Or contact me on 01925 602 759.