Stainless Welding

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

I've got some stainless steel to weld (not for the hood actually). I've done it at Uni in the past and it TIG welds very nicely, easier than mild steel, but I feel a bit cheeky keep doing it so I want to use my 150 amp MIG welder instead. Has anyone any experience of MIG welding stainless, is there anything I should watch out for is it just the same as mild?

My main question is what gas should I use, can I get away with CO2 or CO2/argon mix or does it have to be pure argon, which is pretty damn pricey in the disposable gas bottles. While on this vain, where's best to buy gas and wire -machine mart?

Guest salty_monk

Argoshield should be ok. You can get a big bottle at BOC.

Stainless is harder to mig than mild. Bill managed it with CO2 I think but he'll agree they weren't "beautiful" welds.

Dan :)

Guest allbejay

use pure argon as it limits contamination in the weld, argoshield is fine but remember when/if you change to stainless wire change the liner and rollers too.

You can get away with mild steel wire as we do occasionally at work when customers ask for a quick fix, aslong as it's painted it then wont rust, boc is a good place for parts but they can be expensive from experience, if your in no rush search the net for parts, oh and we used to use a c02 fire extingusher (sp) for mild steel welding years ago, just made sure it was a high pressure rated bottle.