Coil Overs

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

As my car's off the road anyway I'm going to use it as an oppurtunity to do some jobs, one of these is to replace the suspension all round, at the moment it's zimmers on the front (16K miles, and they're still in one piece is this a record?!) and Sierra springs and shocks on the rear.

I've been reading past posts on the topic, and I've decided to go for Gaz units from Rally Designs with 16mm shafts, but I still have a few questions:

1. Open length: for the front this is 14" - right? For the rear I'm going to fabricate the mounts to fit in the roll hoop and on the trailing arms, so they can be whatever I want. Shall I go for 16", sound reasonable? (Should give about the same suspension travel at the wheel as 14" on the front does).

2. Spring length: How do I know what to get to match the dampers?

3. Spring rate: 325lb front and 300lb rear sounds right?

4. Will they fit? These springs are 2 1/4" dia, the zimmers were 1.9" and quite close to the top wishbone on the front. It depends on the shape of the top of the damper, but can someone put my mind at rest that they run 2 1/4" spring Gaz's on a 2B factory original wishbone?

5. Anything else I've forgotton?

Cheers Guys

Tim

not sure if the 21/4" springs will fit inside the wishbones without fouling, i recently fitted gaz shocks but with 12mm shafts and 1.9" springs

13.5" open at the front with either 9 or 8" 325lb springs

originally got supplied with 17" shockers with 10" springs for the rears but swapped them for 13.5" and 9" 300lb springs as they were a direct swap for the zimmers.

17" on my car would have meant check straps to stop the spring unseating or brake pipe damage at max deflection of the trailing arms .

Steve

Guest chris brown
Chris Brown has 2.25" springs I think. They do fit, just a bit tight.
Yes I have but you’re correct they are very tight. Go for 1.9” if you have the choice. I ended up with the 2.25” ones because they were cheap on ebay :p :p :p

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OllyT83

Having had my 2B kit for 3 months now but still not having recieved the coilovers I decided to chase them up. RH sent me this:

Hi Oliver,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we have an up date, the original dampers/coils were made here at Robin Hood by the previous owner, we have been trying for months now to find suppliers for the components used but we have just been advised they are no longer available but all is not lost, we have had Gaz produce an up grade kit for us which would normally be £350, we will offer these to you for our cost which is £225, (most owner do up grade the shockers) If you do not wish to up grade then we can offer you a £100 credit note for lolocost spares, can you please advise, we are due a new delivery again next week

Regards

Clive

Is this a good deal? I guess I don't have much choice as shocks are really the only thing I need!

Guest DRC7

BARGAIN i got some on saturday i just could not face fitting them zimmerframes they even make heath robbinson look good nice to see they are sorting things out there i have nothing but praise for robin hood they provide a good deal for lets face it low priced kit cars they are what they are you decide

• 4 weeks later...
Guest timswait

Just recieved my shocks today (at last - took about 6 weeks), but holding them up against the car the 13" open fronts really look too long, the car will be riding higher on them than on the zimmers. Steve - is your car factory standard wishbone front suspension and how high does it ride at the front? I'm thinking of sending them back to be honest....

:(

Guest turbo

tim the size of the shocks are fine,your ride height will be decided with the correct length of spring also the stiffer the spring the less it will compress withe the load of the car.

fit the shock then jack the car to the ride height you want then measure the size of spring you want (i would recomend a 350lb spring)this will compress about 1.75 inches with the car weight.

would be a good idea to get your springs from someone who is willing to swap them if they are not quite right.

hope this helps.