K&n

Guest yob

Guest yob
<_< Hi any one got any ideas for cleaning bolt on K&n filter other than K&n solutions.Been told to clean with petrol. From a skint hood owner.

Guest Takumi

warm soapy water, dunk it in and give it a shake..

Then once it has dried, give the filter element a good spray of wd40 to moisen it, as its the filter oil which sticks the dirt to the filter..

Guest stu205

add to that a good filter oil, wd40 dosent last that long but does stop any metal parts of the filter getting rusty after a good clean

Guest timswait

The oil is essential, these cotton filters don't work like paper ones by trapping particles in fine pores, they rely on the particles sticking to the oil, without the oil they're pretty useless, WD40 won't do, it isn't very oily (I think it's PTFE, which would have the opposite effect, ie particles will not stick to it). I use K&N filter oil, it lasts a long time, I've used one can to clean my filter a couple of times and still plenty left, just think how much money you're saving over replacing a paper filter every year. If you're going down the cheapskate route (and nowt wrong with that ;) ) you need a low viscosity oil which won't evaporate off, I can't think of anything off hand, I think 3 in 1 or something similar would be too thick, unless anyone knows differently.....

Use to have K&N's on about every car i had and only needed to clean them a couple of times. They do do small one shot saches of the oil, try Motormania or Burtons.

Do the foam filters need oil or is it a different system, i now have a Pipercross foam type on mine now.

Do the foam filters need oil or is it a different system, i now have a Pipercross foam type on mine now.

piper cross use an aerosol can

all you need to know about K&N filters

6.) Re-oil the filter with K&N Filter Oil. Use only K&N Filter Oil as any other form of oil can degrade the element's filtering ability. A K&N Filter will not function properly without sufficient oil and will require more frequent re-oiling of the filter's clean side in between cleanings.

Filter cleaning kits

oil from £3.55 full cleaning kits from £ 8.35 at these prices is it worth putting your engine at risk just to save the price of a pint and a half of beer ( £3.55)

or, clean with Fairy, oil with baby oil and source new rings from ebay ;)

Guest peter2b2002

go with the pucka stuf as said before 1 tin lasts a long time and is quite cheep, can clean with washing up liquid part diluted

pete2b