Weber Twin-choke Carb On 1600cc Pinto

Guest Mike G

Guest Mike G

Hi Guys

While doing some work on my carburettor filter (Weber 2v twin choke), I found a problem. With the filter off the car, I checked to see if the 2nd choke butterfly opened when I pressed the throttle mechanism to maximum. I had doubts because the car was lacking power on motorway uphill gradients. No surprises, the 2nd choke stayed closed.

Question: is the 2nd choke butterfly operated mechanically, or is there a vacuum function that I cannot simulate with the engine 'off'?

Regards

Mike G

Guest Mike G

I believe it is a Weber 28/30 DFTH carb, which has the secondary throttle valve vacuum unit gubbins (checking its appearance against Haynes). There is no identity plate attached to double-check against. The original Sierra donor was a D-reg, which makes it about a 1987 car. Does any of this help?

Mike

I think its probably a 28/30DFTH if its a standard fit carb - I had one on my old 1600 before I replaced the engine. Take a photo if you can and we'll confirm. Check if the second choke is sticky or jammed as I would not have thought there is a huge amount that can go wrong with that mechanism. They are not the best of carbs anyway, certainly not for performance.

BTW if you find your carb is totally shot and just want to replace as standard, I have a brand new, unused Weber 28/30DFTH in the garage jetted for a 1.6 pinto with auto choke that I am about to put on here or Ebay. Still in the Ford box - never got round to fitting it before the rings went on my 1600.

Andy