Sidescreens

Guest Ant

Anyone got any plans for DIY side screens? I'm currently thinking of making them in two sections. A lower part which is a fabric covered frame, and an upper part made from polycarbinate and frame-less.

I'm not sure how best to join the two parts together, how to sew the fabric round the frame, what to make the frame from, whether hood type material will go through a domestic sewing machine, or how to hinge them or hold them shut.

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas they'd like to share on the topic?

Ant

Guest Battery Bill

Hi Ant

We intend making our own Sidescreens and Roof but have not got far enough to think too much about it yet.

We will possibly be fabricating a folding hard top hinged in the middle and folding side panels .

On thing we are definitely going to try is some sort of tight mesh cover over the Roll cage to hopefully cause an air pocket and reduce buffeting, You can get this sort of things for MGs and Porsches so obviously it works to some degree.

Has anyone else tried this sort of thing I wonder

Guest Mr Pid

Scary stuff-just decided to make some and started cutting out preliminary designs in the dungeon - just come up stairs and read your post!?! :unsure:

I plan a two part design for each side:

1) the first part is to be mounted along the windscreen pillars and moulded to fit around the top and bottom using a little pursuasive heat

2) the second part is like a mirrored version of the other part except this fits over the first leading edge of the doors, about am inch or so to protect against wind and rain.

both of these will be joined with a hinge at the fron which allows them to flex and where the two leading edges meet there will be something like a rubber seal or boot which is flexible for when the doors open and will eliminate most of the rain and road spray. :)

Have not come up with a way of making them stay shut yet-was thinking of some sort of pull cord with a latch but i was hoping someone could come up with something a little less primative? :(

Its not a major urgent job so i dont kow when ill get it finished, still trying to battle to get it ready for the SVA. But still a good tangent though.

Cheers

Stu :rolleyes:

Guest mickmellors

Hi Ant

As you are almost certainly aware Tim Norman uses his Car throughout the year and does not resort to putting the hood on unless the floor pan is filling up faster than holes allow it to drain but does use the side screens to protect from the worst of the weather.

He was having a little discomfort from wind coming at him sideways off the trailing edge of the side screen and decided to extend them backwards about 6-8 inches to guide the turbulence behind his head.

He drew up a full size sketch of the metal skeletal fram on cardboard and I drew it up on CAD and got a set plasma cut at a mates fab shop in Ashbourne for about £20 I think.

I am not sure if I have the drawing on my Cad Station at my home Office or whether I did it as a lunchtime special at some previous employment.

I'll look it out and let you know. Remind me with an e-mail - mick@rhocar.org early next week - I havnt got a spare minute before then - N.Yorks Run this w/e etc etc

Sounds good Mick - I'll srop you the e-mail next week.

I too intend using the car in most weather, but driving along the A50 last Friday in the p*****g rain wasn't too pleasant. I didn't get that wet really, but it's just not pleasant ... and in the queue to the A453 / M1 junction a few highly dignified people decided to wind their windows down and tell me how stupid I was - little do they know!

Ant

Guest TerryBarry

"people decided to wind their windows down and tell me how stupid I was"

Easy to do if you're sitting in the dry and only have to press a button

Terry

Hood material is what my side screens are made from.

I have the frame trapped between 2 layers.

They are sewn round a frame.

Sewing them is not hard with a domestic sewing machine if a bit of thought is given as to where the seams are before you start sewing.

You will need a leather needle in your sewing machine, these can be got from any sewing shop (look up haberdashery in your yellow pages) and rot proof cord.

I obtained material and cord from woolies at a show, they advertise in most kitcar mags and do mail order..

Joining the top to the bottom was done by extending the material up about 1 inch above the frame on inside and outside leaving a channel. The bottom inch of the polycarbonate was roughed up with sand paper to give a key and then the polycarbonate had a layer of Sikoflex222 spread on both sides and this glued it into the channel.

The ends have come undone a bit and I have bolted a stainless U strap 1 inch high by 2 inches long round the front ends to stop this

Ian

Guest Mr Pid

What about making the screens in two parts using sprung loaded hinges?

This will keep them close to the body of the car and look a bit good to, i had a look in B&Q on my lunch break but couldnt find any though-anyone know where i could get a set? :huh:

Cheers

Stu :rolleyes: