How Long Should Discs Last

Guest Kim

Took the wifes Citoen Picasso for it's 25,000 mile service today.

1 new light bulb, 1 wiper blade, and some other bit's and pieces.

Greatest shock needs new discs, brake pads got 1-2000 miles left so Citroen are now making the pads from somrthing that wears the discs faster than the pads.

And they want £300

Do's this sound right? :gdit: :gdit: :gdit: :gdit:

Guest manglemender

Hmm, Sounds a bit rich to me. I have a Volkswagen Lupo - a car of similar size and weight; It had new disks last year along with its' 60K service. Citroen build quality isn't that amazing, my mother had a C3 until quite recently; one of the front springs broke - as in snapped - and she had terible trouble with her brakes all before the car was a year old!

Manglemender

No. Not that kind of mangle.

does sound a touch excessive in terms of wear!

As for the price, if using genuine citroen parts that might be about right. Try your local motor factors though, you should be able to get it a lot cheaper! Can't be too hard to do yourself!

Guest salty_monk

I have a Peugeot 306 Diesel. It's still on it's original brakes disks & only it's 3rd set of pads since new....

25k sounds about right for modern pads but 25k for disks is BS.

Dan :)

it don`t cost nowhere near that for a mercedes benz

but you are right modern discs wear at the same rate as pads

there is no asbestoes in them anymore.

remember its same as i tell my customers its the profit that

make it expensive.

Dave

Guest salty_monk

I don't agree Dave... I've never had a car new or old that wears disks at the same rate as pads. I reckon they are trying it on.

Probably just says that should be checked in the manual & the guy is just following the tick list rather than evaluating them properly!!

They shouldn't change the disks without changing the pads anyhow!!

Dan :)

Guest TerryBarry

I knew of a Fiesta that needed new discs after 15k miles - driven by a basic "lady school run driver".

Maybe we'll give more thought to buying a C2 to replace our current Ibiza :rolleyes:

When i had a 106 peugeot i could never wear a set of pads out the discs always started to wear on the inside inner and outer edge it also depends on the type of running that you do after all these cars are town shoppers most small to medium cars suffer from this you should be able to find a garage to do the job for between £80 --- £100 BUT do get it checked out by some other garage get them to show you i know what scams some dealers can do they tryed it on us once saying the pads were worn out we told them we would do it turns out they were only 25% worn ..................

Guest mark kingston

my 2 litre ford focus estate has done 54k and i have just changed pads and disks al round as the front needed doing, i could have got away with just pads at the back as the rear discs where above minium but would have needed doing before the rear pads needed doing again so i decided to do them at the same time.

New pads and disks all round cost me £120 all up including the dreaded vat and of course as any self respecting kit car owner would do i fitted them my self.

I know this is the first time they have all been changed as i have owned the car from new.

regards

Mark kingston

Just had a 2003 nissan micra 23000 miles and the discs are very badly scored and groved by what appears to be very hard brake pads the pads are 75% worn but when they need changing the discs will too they are the original brakes from new

Guest robin

just had my corsa van discs and pads replaced after 56k and the guy didn't believe me it was the first new set as there was still 40% left on the pads! and the discs were just starting to score.

and you know how white van drivers drive!!

Thanks all

Went to local garage today instead of dealer told me to just change the pads disks are fine. Getting pads from motor factors and will fit them my self. Should save at least £250. so will put it towards some seats for the RH( and tell the wife it cost £300 and this kind chap gave me these brand new seats)

Ki :) :unsure: m