A Couple Of Questions?

Guest ReadingTrev

Guest ReadingTrev

Hi All,

Upon fitting my exhaust tonight on my Lightweight, (one off exhaust, mk engineering,) I have noticed a couple of things that could do with addressing.

The exhaust needs to be approx' 10 - 15 mm further away from the engine than it is. Does such a device as a pinto (thick metal?) exhaust manifold gasket exist? (I hope that makes sense, I will need 4 of them, or one long thick gasket, to push the exhaust further away.)

I have moved the engine as far over as it will go now, so it’s this thick gasket / extender or nothing. (......... has fingers crossed!)

The second thing I now need is a different shaped pinto alternator mount. The standard one now would mount the bottom of the alternator through the steering shaft! Obviously it needs to mount onto the engine in the same place, but the bit that accepts the long bar/screw for the alternator needs to come out higher.

I'm sure I can't be the first person with these issues (maybe in our RHSC builds!) but can anyone point me in the direction of any products / companies that make fat exhaust extenders/gaskets and different shaped alternator mounts????

Many thanks in advance,

Trevor.

PS - I will be at Newark Saturday morning, so I will trawl through the trade stands!

Guest allbejay

not sure on the mount, but with the exhaust i brought new studs longer in length and then had a copper plate around 10mm thick machined to the exact dimensions of a gasket wasn't on a hood but got me out of trouble plus copper is reusable time and time again

oh forgot to add people like ferriday engineering may be able to help with this

Hi Trevor

the alernator bracket i used a piece of 6mm steel alloy in your case

100x150 mm with 3 holes to mount to the block and three holes further up

to take the alternator bracket, then the adjuster bracket needs cuttng and welding at

an angle and mounting from the themastat housing

il`ll be at Newark so can look at mine

Dave

Guest Charles B

Trevor, I think Europa sell a plasma cut exhaust manifold plate for making your own system. That should make a reasonable spacer.

On my 2B I lowered the alternator bracket with a plate as shown.

Guest zoomzoom

Hi trev

try good old westfield for the alternator mounting part no 2942036.

I,m hopeing to use this type myself, but have not reached that stage yet so dont know if it raises it to clear the shaft.

The manifold by mk is a nice piece of kit, it exits through the bonnet i believe so misses the steering shaft :D . I think i will have to stick with the manifold in component form from RH as i have used too much of my budget on other things :boohoo:

marcus

The second thing I now need is a different shaped pinto alternator mount. The standard one now would mount the bottom of the alternator through the steering shaft! Obviously it needs to mount onto the engine in the same place, but the bit that accepts the long bar/screw for the alternator needs to come out higher.

I used a steel plate bolted to the block then mounted the alternator bracket onto that at a suitable height to clear everything

Guest ReadingTrev

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks for all your suggestions, this is how I'm going about this to wrap the thread up.

The manifold spacer issue. MK Engineering have provided me with a pinto 16mm spacer "gasket" which looks like it will do the job no problems.

The Alternator mount. I have bought some thick sheet steel, which I will drill and mount onto the engine, then mount the alternator bracket higher up, just as everyone suggested.

Thanks people, where would I be without this club????

Lightweight Trev.

PS - Thanks to all the chaps at Newark today who left their bonnets off with repositioned alternator mount brackets, I have taken some very detailed photos of the mounting plates and will shamelessly copy them tomorrow!

you'll probably have seen mine then, lol. I wasn't showing off, it's just the car was so bloody hot i needed to open the bonnet for it to cool down!!!