Glue For Leatherette

Guest nigels-hood

Guest nightracer35

i too have the same problems, so if you find any can you pass it on please, i thought even good super glue would help but no! :wacko:

ron

Guest robin

they also do a spray version and i find it much less fidley than having to find a clean brush or spreader every time. btw any over spray comes off really easy with either white spirit or wd40 on a rag!

Guest mark kingston

i made my dash from MDF and then used a staple gun to attach the leatherette to the rear.

it turned out fine and holds fine unlike the glues i tried in the past.

:) :)

Guest salty_monk

I used leather glue I think, Evostick stuff, came from Halfords in a yellow & black tube on the sidescreens to effect a repair, was great over a thousand miles or more of motoring.

Dan

Guest hypermick

Hi All,. Hope I can help here. :)

If youre using leatherette or vynil you need to use a glue thats thixotopic based. ;)

I'm not sure if its still available but Dunlop used to do one called Thixofix. Its generally brushed on rather than applied using a spreader, it basically goes on like thin Evostick and doesnt go lumpy as you try to work it. You'll know if youve bought the right stuff since it looks slightly thicker than PVA glue (same white colour to look at ). :)

Once youve applied it to both surfaces it needs to be almost dry, then is instantly bonded as the surfaces make contact. ;)

Very slightly stretch the covering as you put the surfaces together, using the palm of your free hand to work the covering on to the mating surface, in a circular motion.

If youre doing it right I'll guarantee the palm of your working hand will get real warm, :lol: but you should get an ultra good finish ! :D

Its ideal for wood, MDF etc bonded to coverings.

Ive never found anything yet to beat it for this type of application.

Mick