Series 3a Cooling Problem

Guest robert cockling

Guest salty_monk

You can post it on www.photobucket.com & just post the IMG code. Copy & paste. Very simple.

If you get the nissan stat it's a 1.6 & you have to modify it slightly.

No probs moving the rad. Closer to the front the better.

No probs with putting fan behind either. Some have done that. It's actually more efficient.

Dan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hypermick

Robert,. to help your fan search, have alook at this item : Its a compact size and might just fit the bill,. he has 9 available, very low price ! ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-cooling-fan...1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, your first posting pointing out the low power. You have checked the compression havent you ? :unsure:

(possibility of headgasket problems ? ) :huh:

Mick

Guest micky bigthumbs
get the right fan some suck and some blow....my 3a has the same set up as you but i have no probs with overheating it does cook my legs but it has'nt boiled over yet in normal use ...once when i gave it a good thrashing on a very hot day and then had to sit in traffic for an hour

Mick

Mine blew the rad cap off today should have said nowt..

Guest robert cockling
Robert,. to help your fan search, have alook at this item : Its a compact size and might just fit the bill,. he has 9 available, very low price ! ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-cooling-fan...1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, your first posting pointing out the low power. You have checked the compression havent you ? :unsure:

(possibility of headgasket problems ? ) :huh:

Mick

Thanks for the e-bay tip , have contacted him and awaiting reply

Ahem, haven't checked compression yet , but there is definetely no emulsion in oil and no smoke coming out of exhaust so hadn't thought this to be a problem .............but will now get of my backside and check it today if possible

Cheers

Robert

Mine blew the rad cap off today should have said nowt..

Sorry...........my fault shouldn't have asked the original question!!!!!!

Robert B)

You can post it on www.photobucket.com & just post the IMG code. Copy & paste. Very simple.

If you get the nissan stat it's a 1.6 & you have to modify it slightly.

No probs moving the rad. Closer to the front the better.

No probs with putting fan behind either. Some have done that. It's actually more efficient.

Dan

Have ordered Nissan thermostat from Halfords (none stock apparently......supposed to be arriving today ...........rated at 76 deg rather than Sierra 88 degree so will give it a try

Cheers

Robert B) ........(have finally worked out how to add smiley faces .....I'm slow but I get there in the end!!!)

Guest Ian & Carole

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian J

Just seen that Sue deleted an item when posting a reply.

Seems I may have done the same thing.

Tim had posted here about thermostat but it has disapered!!

Are you there Mat?

Guest robert cockling

Oops :unsure:

Too late, I've already "ebayed"

New radiator has just arrived today so will combine it with above when it arrives and the adjusted nissan 1.6 thermostat. I will wire up the fan as per NW webpage. (won't be until early next week as am off to England for a few days as of tomorrow)

At the very least this should reduce the number of potential things that can be causing the problem !!

Cheers

B)

Guest salty_monk

Be interested to hear results & also how good the fan is....

Normally they cost about 70 notes hence why I'm suspicious of these & diameter is quite small....

Dan :)

Guest hypermick

The diameter of the fan in question is 10". The standard RH supplied unit is 14",. however the usage efficiency will depend on several things.

The kit Im building has a fabricated forcing tunnel between the fan and the radiator. I personally think this is the best way.

As a matter of interest the Sierra 2.0ltr DOHC radiator (my donor) has one small fan only (but two fan positions), it works well on its own and its only slightly bigger than the 10".

Mick.

Guest salty_monk

The extra fan hole was recommended to be filled with a 2nd fan the same when towing (By uncle Henry) the 1.8 CVH used the same one...

Dan :)

Guest Peejay

I use the Cortina rad, but have it mounted 'in' the nosecone. It's at a fair old angle! I then have a Kenlow fan (blow type) mounted in front of that. Works a treat, no need for an expansion bottle.

Pete

Guest robert cockling
I use the Cortina rad, but have it mounted 'in' the nosecone. It's at a fair old angle! I then have a Kenlow fan (blow type) mounted in front of that. Works a treat, no need for an expansion bottle.

Pete

I was trying to keep the number of items in the nosecone to a minimum. Once I've plumbed in new Coolman radiator and Land Rover fan (assuming it fits behind the radiator and in front of the engine pulleys) I'll see how well it performs. If at that stage it still isn't good enough I may look at putting some form of ducting in the nose. Who knows if desparation sets in may have to strap my wife to the bonnet and give her a Japanese fan to waft in front of the grille.............(you can tell she's not reading this over my shoulder!!)

Robert B)

Having a series 3, been there done that, and a coolman and ducting with or without electric fan are definite improvements.

But you say your 2L pinto will only do 80 round Knockhill! I think you should spend some time going through the general mechanical health of the engine, timing and carburation. Several things there that can lead to a loss of power and overheating and a new rad wont cure them.

Nigel

Guest robert cockling

I think I stated in one of my replies above that I had checked timing using timing light and it seemed OK. Have replaced plug leads, checked distributor is working OK, no emulsion in oil etc. Once I fit radiator , and even if water temp problem improves, I intend to find a rolling road and get a report / health check on engine.

I suspect that single carb with no air filter and requiring tuning may be possible problem...................

Robert B)

Guest Bob Rowell

post-603-1154123749_thumb.jpgRobert, I had similar problems with my S3 overheating. The answer was to fit a Metro header tank, with the bottom two pipes connected into the manifold water hose. I then removed the spring etc from my radiator cap, making it just a plain cap, and ran a small bore hose from the rad overflow into the top pipe of the header tank. This makes the whole system pressurise to the cap rating on header tank (higher pressure = higher boiling point)

My car used to empty most of it's water after 20 miles running and always overheated. I did 3000+ miles after carrying out this mod and it did not overheat even once.

Finally, don't forget to run a sensible anti-freeze mixture to raise the boiling point and give more efficient cooling.