Series 2 Knocking Rear Suspension

Guest jasonmorris

Guest jasonmorris

Hi guys,

Further to everyones advice earlier with regards to my knocking nearside rear suspension, I have checked that nothing is catching on the drive shafts and all the corners have in fact been angled off.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the next most probable cause would be and how to check and fix it?

Also I have been told that an LSD will help matters greatly with traction, but i gather i can't fit a cosworth item? Again any ideas would be welcome.

I also intend to fit a quick rack, is this an easy job as I have seen one off another Sierra (2.8 turns lock to lock)?

Cheers for any advice.

Guest jasonmorris

Actually i haven't. You will have to excuse me as I am much of a novice and learning as i go along. How can i tell if a bush that is knackered? Are they easy to replace and where can i buy them?

The only time it knocks is when i carry an adult passenger on uneven road surfaces.

I haven't had much time with the car so far as i have only had it 4 weeks and the engine has been having a lot of work done on it for the last 3 at Autotronix near Sheffield.

Any advice you can give is much appreciated.

Jason

Guest stu205

if its on the original shocks chances are there buggered the bush at the to (and or bottom) tend to go a bit oval!!

easyest way is whip one off and have a look, my original RHE shocks were buggered after 1000 miles and there a bit of a week point, well alot of a week point TBH!!

Guest jasonmorris
if its on the original shocks chances are there buggered the bush at the to (and or bottom) tend to go a bit oval!!

easyest way is whip one off and have a look, my original RHE shocks were buggered after 1000 miles and there a bit of a week point, well alot of a week point TBH!!

Thanks for the advise, i get the car back today and will check all the bushes. I plan to fit new shocks anyway, although i was hoping to leave this as a winter project along with fatter wheels and tyres.

Cheers,

Jason

If its an S2 you may be on the old Sierra dampers. I replaced mine on my old series 1 for under £30 from a motor factors. Check the mountings as well, they are a weak point.

I did all my rear bushes as well, its a weekend job. Getting the old ones out can be a bit of a sod (drill as much out as possible) but its not too bad a job.

Jack the car up and check for play in the wheels and rear traling arms.

Andy

Guest jasonmorris

I have read about how hard the bushes can be to get out, but i think it is worth replacing them all. Does anyone know where is the best place to source a complete kit?

Regards,

Jason

I got them from the Ford dealer. Didn't break the bank - £6 each ish I remember. I think all Sierras had the same training arm bushes. One is larger than the other.

If its a series 2 where the main bushes that would have located the rear subframe onto the Sierra chassis are there but not used (as was the case on my series 1), obviously don't bother with replacing those. They are the most expensive as well.

Good luck

Andy

Guest jasonmorris

Great, thanks for the offer.

Just got it back from the engine tuners and car is now pushing out 140bhp. I have been advised to replace the standard end can with a less restrictive motorcycle item in order to gain around another 5bhp.

Has any one ever done this? and should i fit one with a removeable baffle for when it comes to test time?

Jason

hi my hoods been knocking on the rear susp found it is semi trailing arm outer bush,one near wheel.

If you look in forum topic rear suspension 2 lads gave me a link to 2 web sites that sell the bushes.

:) steve from rawmarsh

Guest scottie686

I used to have an old exmo (about 5 years ago) and the rear shock knocked really badly when driving. :( It turned out that the bolt that went through the shock and secured onto the body only went through the thin stainless of the body and had NO reinforcement, :blink: therefore, the hole the bolt went through was getting bigger and bigger as the stainless was cracking and the knocking was the shock hitting the underside of the arch!! Just thought this might be something to look out for!!