Cycle Computers

Guest red7

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest salty_monk

Peter... welcome to my world :D :lol:

Most people are far to cautious of them, when you've lived with so many of them like we have in London you start to learn where their limits are... Plus all manufacturers speedo's over read by a degree, that's so they can't get any court action from someone who got nicked with a speedo quoting the right speed...

Grim - it's probably heavy enough to throw the wheel out a little bit but not by much, if you were being 100% careful you'd need to get it balanced again. I had my pillocks rip off the inner wheel weights on mine when on the race track & it wasn't noticeable.

Enforcer - better be careful when you go for a tyre change, their machine is likely to rip that off.

Dan :)

• 2 months later...
Guest chris brown
steve

can't see that there should be aproblem as there is no check on the speedo at an mot.

(Takes 2 steps back and wait for the mot testers to reply) :D :D

swan

Correct and you don’t even have to show a mileage for all it has a section for mileage on the MOT certificate it can contain "not declared"

Thanks lads I'll scrap the Ford Cortina instument panel this winter (since the speedo packed in). On a similar line a streetwise kid in the office told me his power steering had packed in on his Rover but that would not effect his MOT test, even tho his car was dangerous to drive!

Guest Petemate

Got a cycle pooter on the roadster. Initial findings when compared with the wife's Sportka after I first got it home were that the (poss jag) speedo was all over the place - 20 - true 30, 35 - true 40, 50 about right, 70 - true 65, 80 - true 70. Got a £6.99 Halfords jobbie, and set it to a value nearest the roadster's wheel size. Mounted it on one of the caliper bolts and dug the little magnet out of its holder, stuck it on the inner wheel rim. It reads exactly 5 mph under and is dead steady. Quite chuffed with it as a temp measure, but a bit awkward coming home from LHR after dark, strap my torch on the dash to provide the obligatory illumination. Enforcer - perhaps you can answer a niggle in my mind - although it doesn't indicate 30 when I'm doing 30, does the fact that I KNOW I'm doing 30 when it reads 25 let me off? BTW, I've won a Cyclops off Ebay which gives a nice led readout of speed; this will sit nicely on a bracket in the roadster and believe me, I've not got it for detecting cameras to the point that I wont even get a subscription for downloading camera sites - I just want a good speed readout. Also, I've won a nice Triumph Spitfire speedo which has lights built-in for ign, oil & beam, thus simplifying the proposed nice new Model B style inst panel. Here's hoping it will read accurate or I'll possibly have to pay out for a re-cal. Rich - is a GPS speedo acceptable in the eyes of the law?

Pete

Pete

My gut feeling would be no. I think it is one of those situations where the legislation has yet to catch up with the technology. It will depend on the precise definition of 'speedometer' in the Road Traffic Acts - I'll look it up when I'm back tomorrow. I'll let you know..

Guest Petemate

That answers the situation with the GPS then - I'll just use it to verify the main speedo. Back to the present set-up with my cycle speedo reading exactly 5 mph under?

Pete

Guest Petemate

Hi Peter

I'll probably do that but as I paid for the Cyclops with a cheque wont get it for a week. I'll let you know how it all goes when I bring it to Baldock 5 Nov, as I'll also have the Triumph Spitfire speedo by then and one way or another I will be legal.

Pete

Hi Peter

I have not got one fitted 'yet' but I am thinking about it as my ford speed reads about 10MPH too fast once at 60mph. I have been looking at this model as it has a backlight!

Sigma BC1606 DTS Cycle / Bike Computer

post-408-1161591411_thumb.jpg

Sean

Guest Tim Norman

I have one of those but without the back light. Bloody brilliant once it is set up. Has average speed or max speed which has scared me a few times when I checked it. Used it along side the car speedo. :D . When I was still on the road before any of you comedians say anything :lol: :lol: