Stainless Steel Scoops

Guest Mike G

Guest Mike G

During the early stages of the heatwave, my Exmo engine did not run as well as usual, especially at tick-over and slow speeds in traffic congestion. Part of the problem I figured was that the carburettor was sucking the hot air around the engine. Tweaking the mixture screw helped, but when running the car in cooler weather, the engine was not happy again, and the mixture had to be put back as it was before.

So I put together a homemade induction kit, including trunking routed to one of the body slots just behind where the nosecone joins the stainless steel body. This mod appeared to resolve the problem at no great cost, and the carb now sucks colder air all of the time. Now all I need to finish it off is a stainless steel scoop to encourage the air into the ugly trunking and tidy up the overal appearance. I've searched the Internet for s/steel supplies, e-Bay & ships chandlers for scoops and vents, and not found anything suitable.

Anyone discovered a good source of stainless steel bits & pieces?

Cheers

Mike G

Guest Mike G

Thanks Guys

I've already tried e-Bay - can buy sheets of s/steel in various sizes - might go in that direction if nothing else turns up. Now tried Plastimo - thanks Colin, hadn't come across them before, but no joy there. Have previously searched the Net for Chandlers supplies - seen some great bits of kit, quite an education what can be bought in the boat world, but nothing suitable. Will keep looking.

Cheers

Mike G

Guest Mike G

Thanks Mitch

I thought I had checked out all of these suppliers, but missed Aqua Marine. I am in the process of checking a few details with them, and will insert a follow-up if successful.

Cheers

Mike G

Guest Mike G

As a follow-up to my previous note, I checked out Aqua-Marine (shown in RHOCAR Parts), who operate under various names within trade circles only. To cut a long story short, they referred me onto this company:-

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com

who is a retail outlet selling allsorts of marvellous boat stuff. They also do a good range of ventilators as well!

Cheers

Mike G