Kit Car As A Commuting Car?

Guest sbenskin

Guest chris brown
Dont even thing about a catering van paying for name and still a pain in the butt every day.
Well put Steve a catering van will be no more reliable than a good Hood. I use mine most days but is no fun sitting in traffic in the pouring rain (like I was tonight) looking out of what someone once described on here as a tent with a small slit in it. Which I think describes well what it is like to drive a 7 with the hood on. And god help you if you end up first to pull away from traffic lights as you will have to relay on the person behind blowing his horn to let you know the lights have changed.

Grim - what you describe are all symptoms of a badly built car....

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! That was kindof the point of my post.

Actually, my car's not too badly built (dispite being 1 of only 2 2Bs requiring welding repairs), it's more that it was a quick build rather than a loving build! That said, the wipers failed in torrential rain just as i was approaching a corner on monday, and i drifted sideways around the corner as i misjudged my speed/corner severity! Another item on the renovations list. :blink: :blink:

And god help you if you end up first to pull away from traffic lights as you will have to relay on the person behind blowing his horn to let you know the lights have changed.

I usually stop a little back from them and crouch down!

Guest salty_monk

Certainly helps to be "nimble" when using the hood with a hood... I did around 25,000 miles a year when I first bought the hood but did 20k in the Diesel tintop as it was a commuter run through London up to Stratford upon Avon.

Did it in the hood once not too bad, great once I got it there but I didn't want to do it every week.

As an 18,000 mile a year car it's certainly possible, I'd probably only do it if my 18k was on nice country roads not motorways or city traffic.

Dan :)

Guest John Walton

The last year I owned my 3A, it covered 14,997 miles, it was my only car.

Every monday morning, 120 miles to london and back on friday, driving about london during the week and hooning about at weekends.

It can be done and should be done

Guest Handlebars

I used my 3a as a daily driver in my old job. (Van driver now) Now we have a Jba, and my wife drives to work each day in it. (only car) Mechanics are a standard car after all. Just keep an eye on the monocoque chassis versions and it'll be fine. I found the roof and doors very waterproof in the 3a. (unexpected!) As is the car we have now. And you get admiring looks everyday. :D

As you can see, there some nutters...... oops! sorry! members, who have / do use their Hoods as daily drivers, personally I wouldn't even consider it.

Mutley has a Quantum 2x2, with a hard top for winter, and a soft top for summer, the soft top only takes less than ½ minute to take down and store (& put up) the hard top goes on with 3 bolts. it has full sized locking doors, with the standard Ford alarm.

Yet in summer it's just the job, and is still a kit car. it has an absolute MASSIVE boot, you could hide 2 illegal refugees in there easily.

In my opinion this is something like what you want if you're going to use it as a daily driver.

you can still be in the club..no problem!

you can see it parked next to mine here at Donington the other year. (only photo that I can find at the moment)

post-51-1154631185_thumb.jpg

I used my RH as a daily driver to work for about 6 months (summer to Christmas), it really suffered, most things started to go rusty. It's a fun car to drive but I soon realised that the pleasure had gone out of the driving. With the hood up in the rain it's noisy and not much fun, okay for 1 journey but day after day it gets tiresome, it was simply a tool, so I got a cheep Commuter and only used the RH for work on a sunny Friday :rolleyes: much better.