Tacho

Guest Bob Rowell

Guest Bob Rowell

After my engine has run for for about 30/40 seconds the tacho needle starts to fluctuate wildly, bouncing around between 1000 and 6000 rpm.

The engine runs normally, idles correctly etc, just doesn't want the tacho to know what it's doing. I did a 90+ miles run last weekend, the problem was there constantly.

I have removed and refitted all the connections I can find, including battery terminals, but still the same.

I am sure I have seen this symptom before, many years ago, but with my senior memory I can't remember where or when or how I fixed it (if indeed I did)

Help !!

Guest Takumi

If it starts to do it after a short while of operating, most likely a crack somewhere in the circuitry of the tacho - as it warms up slightly the crack widens and looses contact.. I've got (had) the same problem, today I've pulled the dash and tacho unit out and swapped it for another one and it seems to work fine :) .. finally after 2 years..

Guest Takumi

lol. in fairness, i've had a week without fran being around to complain about me doing bits on the car.. finally got the 2L in and running gr8 on mikuni BSRs!

See you nxt mnth!

-stef