Ignition Loom 2.0i Pinto 1989

Guest ColinR

Guest ColinR

In my haste to get on with the build, I have blundered! I removed the CPU, disconected the big plug and then..........cut the ***** thing off thinking that I could splice it into the Vicki Green loom. I had already started stripping out the underbonnet bits (then went on holiday and forgot what I had started). When I later looked under the bonnet I realised the error of my ways.

I have now started identifying the wires to reconnect them. The coloured ones don't seem to be a problem, but there are an awful lot of brown ones. I know these are earths, but how critical is it that they go to the right components, given that many of them join and then split again? I'm thinking here about the injectors, two wires earthing pairs of injectors (I think I know the answer to this one)

It seems patience and forethought should be included with the kit!

• 2 weeks later...

You will need to check that all the brown wires are earths in the CPU.

For this you will need an electrical multimeter set to ohms (lowest range) or continuity.

Connect the plug to the cpu and measure continuity from brown to brown, the meter passes a low current through the circuit and this will not damage the cpu if connected to the wrong wires.

Hopefully all browns join at the CPU if so connect any to any.

There might be a few sizes of wire connect big to big, small to small..

Good luck