Hand Brake

Guest keyper

Guest keyper

Has anyone had any problems when fitting the hand brake cables. I have installed the mounting angle for the adjusters on the cable but they don't reach !!!!!!!!!!! Has anybody had the same problem or even come up with a solution ?

All help welcome, cheers.

Keyper.

Guest Angel Boy

Where have you mounted the handbrake?

I fitted mine on the tunnel top, with the angle just behind the seat back panel. I shortened the cable in the same spot and clamped the two ends together.

If you let us know some more info we might be able to help more. :)

Andy

Guest keyper

The handbrake is mounted in the passenger footwell, which leaves about 12 inches extra on the cable.

How did you mount the handbrake in the centre ? I don't seem to have the ability to do that.

I mounted mine on the tunnel top. It can be tric ky if you fit the Sierra fuel tank, but if you have the RH tank or a Mini tank (me), then it is probable a lot easier to fit on the tunnel. Basically, the lever mounts on the tunnel top with the cable going back through the hole in the back panel that the fuel tank is supposed to fit through. On top of the chassis in the boot you fit a length of angle iron with the keyhole slots cut in. This picture should show it better than I can describe it.

Daz

post-7-1047895191.jpg

The hand brake lever is spaced up to allow the mechanism to operate. The piccy shows it. I spaced it so that the top was parallel to the tunnel when the lever was disengaged.

Daz

post-7-1047895379.jpg

Guest Paul S Usowicz

Daz

Nicve job on the handbrake. I am now going to put mine up there but I have 2 questions. Does it interfere with the gearchanging (i.e. elbow hitting the handbrake) and is it operable when sitting in the seats and strapped in with 4 points?

Cheers

Paul S Usowicz

Paul,

the handbrake has no effect on the gear change. When it is disengaged it lies nicely parallel and at a suitable height to use it as an armrest. It only gets tric ky when you have a passenger in the car! I usually have to use my other hand to put it on or take it off when I have some ballast in the car! You can live with it. I can.

Daz

Guest Mike Perry

Daz

I've been watching this post with interest as this is how I propose to fit my handbrake on 2b.

What I wondered is? With regard to the handbrake angle mounted above the diff; is there room for it to fit bellow the chassis tubes to leave a flat area to fit the boot floor.

Thanks

Mike

Not as far back as in the photos shown above, no.

I have seen one (not sure where now) with it above the yoke of the diff, but room will be tight. You definitely need to avoid the cables touching anything.

I guess you could take both cables in their casings through the back panel and then mount a short piece of angle on top of the tunnel tubes immediately behind the lever. Again space would be at a premium.

Best thing to do is to play with all the bits when you come to do it and decide what you prefer.

Ant

Guest MJTyke

Re the handbrake, since the cable supplied was far too long, I guess it was a straight replacement for the sierras, I decided to relocate to the handrake to the right of the drivers foot panel (a la lotus) which makes it a hell of a lot easier to use, operated by a couple of brackets and cranks.

Mike,

I do not think it would be a simple job to mount the angle iron under the chassis tubes as the handbrake cable runs along and parallel to the tunnel top for about a foot or so before it goes through the seat back panel. You could do it if you wanted to rig up a pulley system so the cable runs through the seat back, then angles down below the chassis tubes in the boot space.

Daz

Ant,

no worries with the windscreen spacing. I worried too when I dod mine, but I fitted a hood and the windscreen needs to sit just in front of the air vents.

Daz

post-7-1048093054.jpg