Lightweight

Guest Tim Norman

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hodge829

Hey guys, so I'm building a lightweight and from what I can tell there's not many of us out there. So I've done some pretty extensive strengthening-around the seatbelt and seat area, kinda making a double skin out of 3mm Ali that goes around the inside of the tub, and has a 6mm x 550mm plate on either side where the belts will join. I've also made a double skin under where the roll-cage bolts on again out of 3mm Ali, and also using the supplied the strip of steel for the rear suspension tops. I've also made some really good spacers for the front suspension where the shocks go in-between the box section. So the point of me telling you all this? Well simple is there any other areas that are a concern for the sva/iva test that I should be aware of? And have I done enough in the areas that modded already? Any help would be great. I'll keep you posted on how it's going.

Guest gdc

as far as i am aware vosa will not accept a monocock structure for iva.

further strenthrengthining will be required .

i have refined the lighweight for sva , but the requirements have changed .

as i believe at the mo , you would have to install a commplete steel inner chassis to comply .

i may be wrong but i think not .

the revisions to the lightweight were to comply with sva , not iva

you may need to talk to the revelant officers ,

the lightweight if built correctly, if bonded and riveted correctly is a good car .

however it is perseveved as a week car , this is because several have been built incorectly.

pm me if you need further info .

graham

you need to tell us also where you are , mayby you are near ?

• 6 months later...
Guest Hodge829

Hi graham, I'm near Stratford upon Avon. I.ve been doing some more strengthening, around the area where the seat/belts go. I've made a kinda secondary tub out of 3mm ali, which goes all the way up to the top of the gearbox tunnel, and up and under the bit at the top of the area opposite the gearbox tunnel, where your arm will rest when driving. Also I've put 2 plates that are about 450mm down the length of the two side panels, and are full height of the gearbox tunnel and the other side too. Plus I've double skinned the full Firewall/engine compartment out of the same 3mm Ali. Also I've double skinned the Diff area, over the top and down the sides out of the same material too, And underneath the rear of the car where the 2 Ali box sections tie in the bottom arms from the drive plate, I've made a steel "Ladder" style chassis rail, which goes the full length up to where the gearbox mount bolts to, i.e. the gearbox bolts through this frame, which also bolts through the floor every footish with M12 bolts. I've also plated the top two Ali box sections that tie the front top arms together, across the top of both of them. And I've also double skinned the steering rack box in you guessed it 3mm Ali. And just as belts and braces, all of the panels have been riveted with 4.8mm rivets, and bonded together, and I've just learnt to use my TIG welder and started to weld up all of the joints/edges where the panels meet.

Phew Sounds like lots now I've wrote it down. So what do you think to my mods so far? Any input would be most apperiacted.

I read in here you rocked the diff out of one of your Lightweights, have you fixed it yet???

Cheers Ian

W

Sounds like a comprehensive set of modifications.

Keep a written diary of your mods and photograph everything.

I think you will be OK

Which VOSA station will you present at?

VOSA will accept and test a Monocoque.

Old S3's have past and they are steel Monocoques.

The Quantum 7 ish car has a monocoque shell, some GT40's, the z cars mini although it has subframes.

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest mower man

Not really on topic but the Quantum mentioned in the last post was developed from an S3 most of the measurements were according to the guy I bought my car from taken from my car ,I thought this may be of interest . I s the report that mono cars black listed for IVA true ? . Many years ago when taking my MOT testers course I was asked not to ask awkward questions about 1 wooden chassis 2 pop rivet and glue construction as they where not known about !!!!! 1 being the Marcos and 2 being the Lotus 47 the light weight version of the Europa bye for now mower man [mick]

No Monocoques not blacklisted the Lightweight has issues as designed but can pass with mods.

We've tested and passed 5 cars first time and have a good relationship with Norwich VOSA.

IVA manual shows monocoque shells and VOSA testers at Norwich have talked us through a lot of issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hodge829

Hi everybody, thanks for the replys. Lots of good info. Think I'll be going to the Kidderminster testing station, as its my nearest one.

This weekend I've been making engine mounts, and gearbox mounts. So the zetec is in!!! Next, getting the seat rails in, and the 4 point harness's in:-)

Oh and while I'm on here, does anybody know if and where I can get a nicer/solid-er steering rack mount bracket, I'm sure that somebody was advertising one on here somewhere, but I can not find it now?????????????

Edited by Hodge829