Mot Emission Testing For Kit Cars

Big Jim

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stewstar73

after some confusion by test stations as to what kit cars should be tested to, I've been out and got "Chapter & verse"

See here!

The rules have recently changed apparently. My Q plate flew through and is running like a bag of spanners.

That explains a lot my car was sva'd sept 06 but has a 1983 plate which is why my mot guy doesn't test it biggrin.gif i could put any engine in i want without fear of emissions ...

Last mot late april this year due to 2 valve stem seals being faulty it smoked his garage out but he still passed it laugh.gif

The rules have recently changed apparently. My Q plate flew through and is running like a bag of spanners.

Rule changes can't be retrospective which is why there are different standards. Whatever standard a car had to meet on the day it was built is what it has to meet forever. When they tighten up the emissions rules they only apply to new vehicles made from then on.

Iain

• 2 months later...
Guest MarkB

all Q plates are visual check only irrelevant of amateur built or production car.... figures really... if DVLA can't determine the year how can we testers.

Guest MarkB

My Pinto is so clean it would have passed the Cat test! As it is mine has to pass the older larger number. However the Tester didn't think I needed an emissions test, so I showed him my log book where it is stated what the test levels are.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

then your engine must be running very lean

• 5 weeks later...

1993 engine and as the SVA included an emmissions test, I thought mine would need it for the MOT now that 3yrs have passed.

MOT guy said Smoke test only, but he did stick the probe up it just to see for himself how it was running.

And that was my biggest worry. Won't be so worried next year. :good:

• 7 months later...
Guest oldman

1993 engine and as the SVA included an emmissions test, I thought mine would need it for the MOT now that 3yrs have passed.

MOT guy said Smoke test only, but he did stick the probe up it just to see for himself how it was running.

And that was my biggest worry. Won't be so worried next year. :good:

faniled test first attempt my machanic freind sorted it and it passed taking it out tomorrow for first run thanks for all your help

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chrispine

took mine for mot a few weeks ago, took all the paperwork and letter proving engine block age, was told Q plate cars and kit cars are visual check only, exempt on both counts.

Guest Alan_builder

took mine for mot a few weeks ago, took all the paperwork and letter proving engine block age, was told Q plate cars and kit cars are visual check only, exempt on both counts.

The MOT tester is wrong!

Kit cars with age related plates have age related emission tests!

Q plates depend on when the car was first registered. If registered prior to SVA it will only have a smoke test. After SVA it will have an age related emission test.

The tester has fallen into the trap, most Q plates were prior to SVA and his generalization is incorrect.!

Guest MarkB

for crying out loud, is the emissions battle going to go on forever!!!

Right not all kit cars are excempt, it all depends on reg dates etc, however if an emissions identifier is not on the vt40 and we can not find the engine in the emissions database then we refer back to a standard test, now considering a hell of a lot of kit cars use sierras which only just fell into the cat test at the very end of their production.... there is very little chance anybody with an age related platye will ever need anything more than a standard test.

Q plate................. VISUAL ONLY!!!!!! irrelevant of year, colour, position of marrs, colour of next doors knickers..... Shaft's face scrub choice. :diablo:

From the bible itself

NT's will normally be provided with the vehicle details as part of the Vehicle Specific Information supplied by the MOT database. This will usually Include the vehicle's 'first used' date. Where this information Is available, the NT should only use Reasons for Rejections applicable to the vehicle's age.

However, In cases where this Information Is not available or incorrect, the NT should determine the vehicle's 'first used' date as follows;

a. Its date of manufacture, If the vehicle was originally used without being

registered in QB (e.g., an Imported vehicle or ex-HM Forces vehicle),

or

b. Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to

be treated as being first used on 1 January 1971, or

c. In any other case, the earlier of either

. Its date of first registration, or

. The date six months after It was manufactured.

Guest MarkB

If the tester says owt else ask him for his local enforcement officers number or local vosa office number (which by vosa law is printed on the mot price list)

Guest MarkB
The MOT tester is wrong!

Kit cars with age related plates have age related emission tests!

Q plates depend on when the car was first registered. If registered prior to SVA it will only have a smoke test. After SVA it will have an age related emission test.

The tester has fallen into the trap, most Q plates were prior to SVA and his generalization is incorrect.!

Says whom?