Robin Hood Factory Visit

Guest gdc

Guest warwick7735

Graham

Do you know that the mods you are doing will please the SVA examiner, or is it just your own idea. It will be a shame to do all that and find it still fails.

I think GBSC should be supplying you with the necessary materials to do the extra strengthening of the tub, if thats whats needed.

Hope all your work proves to be successful

Warwick

hi warwick

no i dont know if the mods will satisfy vosa.

i can only with others help attemt to rectify the situation my beliefe is that the lightweight is structualy sound as designd . the problem has been bought about by an inferiour build submitted for test.

i am attemting to host a brain storm see other posts i have some interest

my attempt at alteration of the lightweight is my own i will be happy to have others judge the result.

after all thats what i am trying to do create debate about the prob.

if i am wrong so be it fortunatly i still have the 2b unlike other first builders .

some lightweights have been sold on e bay what chance do they have ????

i am in contact with only 7 lightweight builders out of 100 +kits sold

one of these is sva passed rhsc have the other

the only answer from rhsc or gbs is our one passed

they are willing to take phone calls re build probs but i suspect that the hood is their priorty

as they are launching a new venture

dont forget the old rhsc is dead!!!!!!!!! the new management be it almost the same have no reason to pander

to the lightweight builder

i will carry out the mods see what happens

please join us for the head to head

regards big gob

graham

Guest ScotMac
hi warwick

no i dont know if the mods will satisfy vosa.

i can only with others help attemt to rectify the situation my beliefe is that the lightweight is structualy sound as designd . the problem has been bought about by an inferiour build submitted for test.

i am attemting to host a brain storm see other posts i have some interest

my attempt at alteration of the lightweight is my own i will be happy to have others judge the result.

after all thats what i am trying to do create debate about the prob.

if i am wrong so be it fortunatly i still have the 2b unlike other first builders .

some lightweights have been sold on e bay what chance do they have ????

i am in contact with only 7 lightweight builders out of 100 +kits sold

one of these is sva passed rhsc have the other

the only answer from rhsc or gbs is our one passed

they are willing to take phone calls re build probs but i suspect that the hood is their priorty

as they are launching a new venture

dont forget the old rhsc is dead!!!!!!!!! the new management be it almost the same have no reason to pander

to the lightweight builder

i will carry out the mods see what happens

please join us for the head to head

regards big gob

graham

Graham, i hope you realize that u are talking to someone w/ another that has passed SVA. In fact, Warwick's car was the first to pass SVA.

Warwick, i am pretty sure that you didn't do any suspension strengthening, right? What about the seat belt mounts? How is the car holding up?

As i have said before, i have fully strengthened the rear diff box. You can look thru my posts to see how i did it, but in summary i add two 3/16" (!) thick peices of flat aluminum to the diff box sides, and then added 1/8" angled peices to EVERY one of the 90deg bends of the 15 sections. All of these new sections were glued, rivetted, and bolted into place.

In terms of the front suspension, i have finished strengthening the lower two box sections and the engine bay. In the engine bay, I have added 1/4" (!) thick flat aluminum where RH had us use multiple layers of off-cuts in floor of the engine bay sides. I bonded and bolted these in place. On top of those beefy engine bay sides, i also used 1/4" thick flat aluminum for the nose of the engine bay, again bolted and bonded. From that base, i simply replaced the single thin angled aluminum that RH had us rivet to the square members and the engine bay floor (nose area), w/ angled steel sections that were bonded and bolted on both sides of the square members and to the nose area of the engine bay floor. Note, i used zinc coated steel (both bolts and angled sections) w/ a full layer of glue in between the steel and aluminum to ensure no corrosion.

The last major stengthening i want to do is to the top front suspension square members. i haven't fully decided how to handle them, but since they are soo close to the top of the chassis sides, i am thinking of combining their strengthening w/ the "closing off" of the top of the chassis sides that people have talked about. That way we both strengthen the core of the chassis and at the same time strengthen those final two suspension square members. I had to do some body work on my chassis sides (f*cking shippers!!!) when my car first arrived, so i know that 2by4's or 2by6's fit nicesly into the squared top of the chassis side. Thus, i was thinking of adding a 2" squared section inside the RH sqaured off top section. The main issue i have is how to connect the two square members to get past the "curve" in the chassis side. I could get it welded, or use the "easyweld". I was also thinking of different ways of "interlocking" the two. For example, a smaller box section fitting inside the two main box sections, bonded and bolted in place.

Cheers, -sm

hi scott

thanks for the info

i will revise my appraisal of the situation

3 have passed sva out of over 100kits sold even allowing for those sold overseas that still leaves

close to 100 with problems

warwick

i did not know of your pass

we still need more input re the prob

regards graham

Guest ScotMac
hi marcus

gibbs and dandy dallow road luton they stock alloy

rivets too

regards graham

Make sure you get a good alloy of ally. I am using 6061-T6...expensive but VERY strong. Note, tho, that the T6 stands for a heat treating of the ally. If you weld it, it will lose this heat treating. I don't know if the easyweld will get it hot enough to lose the heat treating, but i don't think so.

Cheers, -sm

hi scot

thanks fothe info my answers to questions may appear short and tothe point .

this is because i type so slow and the thred would have ended before icould make apoint ,this is the main reason to have this meeting

regards graham