Steering Column Bush

NeilD

Due to the early retirement ( 2000 mls! ) of my steering column bush I am going to temporarily fit another Ford one and do the upgrade on the NW hoodies site during the winter.

Which way round should the standard Ford bush be fitted ?? ( on a 2B ) :blink:

Guest chris brown
Due to the early retirement ( 2000 mls! ) of my steering column bush I am going to temporarily fit another Ford one and do the upgrade on the NW hoodies site during the winter.

Which way round should the standard Ford bush be fitted ?? ( on a 2B ) :blink:

Does this help?

I now you have completed the modification, however if you have further problems this is the solution.

It works extreemly well and should be pinned as the only true solution to the sierra column going through a flat panel at the wrong angle.

Steering support bearing

Hiya guys

Just read the exchanges of ideas, and was pleasantly surprised to see my name appear as the originator of bearing/bush idea. I can vouch for this way of overcoming all of the shortcomings of the RH rubber grommet system. I have now had the bearing on the car for 2-3 years, with no trouble whatsoever, and costing only a tenner it was far less than any other mod I have done to the car. It changed an unsafe dodgy MOT failure, with loads of slack and rattling, into something akin to the rigidity of mass-production cars.

Fitting the bearing to my already-completed car required some serious acrobatics to enlargen the hole through the bulkhead, which I managed with stitch-drilling and filing. I had already taken out the driver's seat, and of course the steeering column, which offered me some extra working space. However, on one occasion I had to get my wife to yank me by the legs from under the dash, as I got stuck doing a sort of hand-stand to access the bulkhead!! Some of the filing was possible from the engine side, but working space was even worse there.

At the same time as doing this mod I was rebuilding my dash, so I took the opportunity of cutting away some metal to allow the steering column to be raised at the driver's end. This permitted a decent size of steering wheel to be fitted, instead of the little tea-plate sized thing that came with the car. Both old & new were Mountneys, so it was easy to swap over as they both used the same bosses.

Cheers

Mike Gouldsborough