Fuel Tank Caps

Guest zoomzoom

Guest zoomzoom

Hi

Just want to know do I need a locking fuel cap for sva or will non locking screw on type be ok??

So you know I have 2 tanks in the lightweight which both have 2 holes in the top of them (1 for R/H pickup and 1 for filler cap). what i intend to do is fit pickups to the bottom of the tanks, link these together and connect this to the pump.

At the top i intend to fit 2 filler caps (1 to each tank!!) and have one fuel gauge sender and block off the other hole.

All this will fit under a cover that goes across the car to which I intend to fit a lock.

So does the filler cap need to be the locking type (£65 ish each ) or the screw on type (£28 each with flange)

Marcus

hi marcus

i ant sure for my 2b i fitted a locking type with restricter,

it came wilh the neckfor the tank .i had to create a split flange to go in the tank with nuts welded to it so as to connect the neck to the tank bit fiddly especially with an almost full tank of petrol .i was ill for days .

dosent answer your question but as i was unsure ispent the extra

regards graham

Hi Marcus,

You don't need a locking cap for SVA. (according to the manual) But the cap you do use must be a secure device ...i.e it cant just be a bung stuck in a tube!!

Screw on cap should be ok, just the usual sharp corners to watch out for!!

Cheers

Simon

Marcus do you need 2 fillers? if you have a resonable size tube between the bottom of the tanks and a vent in both could you just fill the one? I dont suppose the tanks are very big are they? I had this arrangement once on a car with 2, 5 gallon tanks. To fill fully it could be a bit slow though.

Peter

Guest zoomzoom

Thanks for the info, I'm going to price them both up and make my mind up. :huh:

It might well be aero non locking type I go for as these have a built in vent and are flush to the top of the tank.

Went off the idea of joining the tanks together with a large diameter pipe after some practice welds :unsure: :wacko:

Thanks Marcus

hi marcus that easy weld ant so easy

its a bit like soldier it flops!!!!!!!!!

and wont stick to small areas. ie right angle seams ,its difficult to complete a circle

as there is a fine line between making it work and it falling on the floor .

its ok it seems for small areas or where you dont have to join the point at which you started,

cos then you just melt of the first part you started with .

regards graham