Advice On Panel Fitting

Guest shane1664

Guest shane1664

Im having a few days off in the next couple of weeks to dedicate to the car, I now have my side panels, brakes and handbrake in, and hopefully my seats in by the weekend. The engine and drive train is finished. :D

Would you put the bonnet on after the electrics and dash console (not panel) are sorted?

Would you put the rear panel and arches on now? as the back end is finished apart from the boot and electrics.

What with most of the mechanical stuff out of the way, im at a loss on which bit to crack on with next as it seems mostly cosmetic panelling or electrical. Sorry if this is a bit vague! :huh:

thanks in advance

Shane

Guest FIRSTBUILD

it may sound a strange answer but I actually did a trial fit and temporary fit with most of the panels then it sort of "tells you" how to complete it - at a certain point you start to feel confident that you can nail it all together

Getting the curve on the rear wings to fit the curve of the sside panel is testing !

I think you are at the stage where there isnt a lot of advice to be given, if you have got this far go for it and get it done !!

good luck

I put off fitting the body panels as long as I could to avoid causing them any damage. It reached the point where I had a fully functioning, driveable car and I had done everything I could mechanically. It took forever to pluck up the courage to 'go for it' and start on the panelling, but once it started it was fun (!)

I'd make a start, and take your time. If it takes 3 hours to get a panel right then it takes 3 hours. Don't rush these as if you make a hash of it you will see the results every time you drive the car.

Leave the bonnet off for now; once it's on your access to the rear of the dash is much more limited.

Guest salty_monk

The only thing I'd advise is fitting the front panels before the wishbones, otherwise you just have to strip the wishbones off again to do it...

If you've done that it doesn't really matter, rear arches before the boot seem sensible to me, dash any point you like, even right at the end (might have to jiggle it with bonnet fit etc).

Dan :)

Guest shane1664

so you can put the dash in before the bonnet? If i remember correctly the video says do it after? Would be a major help to put it on before the bonnet i think.

Thanks for the advice so far, im slowly building up my next list of things to do :D

Shane

Guest chris brown
so you can put the dash in before the bonnet? If i remember correctly the video says do it after? Would be a major help to put it on before the bonnet i think.

Thanks for the advice so far, im slowly building up my next list of things to do :D

Shane

I would think very seriously now at this stage about cutting the bonnet and making a fixed scuttle lot have done it and I've not met or heard of one person who doesn’t think it is one of the best mods they did on the build. Then you have lots of options on how to fix the bonnet and fitting the wipers/washers is so much easier also the bulkhead can be sealed properly. This IMHO makes for a much safer car

Nah

Stick with the alligator bonnet. I've yet to see a properly fitting bonnet against a fixed scuttle (ducks for cover). :ph34r:

With some careful planning this set up works perfectly, with plenty of room for wipers, demisters and heaters. The access you get it superb and if you do need to get in there it's a case of removing two nuts and bolts and the bonnet's off.

Works for me :wub:

And as for the dash first / bonnet first argument you need to trial fit both. The bonnet sits an inch or so above the dash chassis rail, and you need to cut your dash panel to allow for this difference (and a bit of trim) for the bonnet to sit snugly on the top. Doing it this way there is no need to add ugly lengths of metal to the top of the tube.

Bonnet-Dash.jpg

Guest Battery Bill

Richard

Stick with the alligator bonnet. I've yet to see a properly fitting bonnet against a fixed scuttle (ducks for cover).

:lol: :lol: OK Ok its not easy you know :p :p

With some careful planning this set up works perfectly,

Ah what about the fact it hits the steering wheel when you open it! Unless you are a smaller person who does not need so much room for the knees? :p :p :D

Each to their own, I like the fixed scuttle approach but Richard tends to follow things by the book (Or Video in this case) :lol: :lol: :wub: :wub:

Ah what about the fact it hits the steering wheel when you open it! Unless you are a smaller person who does not need so much room for the knees? :p :p :D

Each to their own, I like the fixed scuttle approach but Richard tends to follow things by the book (Or Video in this case) :lol: :lol: :wub: :wub:

Well I might be a little more vertically challenged than some :lol: But the bonnet easily clears the wheel and opens to about 60 degrees.

Bonnetup.jpg

I suppose I am a bit 'traditional' but Richard Stewart is my God :blush: ...... we are not worthy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest salty_monk

I've had both types & I'm vertically challenged.....

In my view the ideal is to have a fixed scuttle that is easily removeable (almost quick release) with a pivoting or quickly releasable fixed nose cone.

It's not so often you need the scuttle off & not having to duck under the bonnet for every day stuff is a real plus...

My latest car is close to this except the scuttle is unsupported & is fixed in place with rivets... :(

My bonnet lines up perfectly with the fixed scuttle, however removing the bonnet and having to place it next to the road if you need to access the engine bay is a pain in the arse, i may well attach it to the nosecone so it pivots forward and fit a stay for safety.

Guest salty_monk

Tom, mine used to be hinged with a stay, it's a real pain as the wind catches it as it's like a sail when raised... I took the hinges off & now stick it by the side of the road like you say.

If you want to hinge it then personally I would go Big Jim's route & hinge it in the middle like an old bugatti or similar...

Guest FIRSTBUILD

I have managed to use a 13" steering wheel by making the bonnet forward tilting - fix the scuttle and "ram" the steering coloum up into the dash - easy to get in and out and you can use a "sensible " steering wheel too .

Steve