Fuel Tank Support

Guest Daniel Aldridge

Guest Daniel Aldridge

post-568-1161020129_thumb.jpgHi all.

We have an Alifab fuel tank fitted.It sits on the two tubes that are a contuation of the spare wheel hoop and it is a snug fit beween the rear upright tubes and where the hoop tubes rise towards the front of the car.There are two tags on the top of the tank to fix it to the rear upright chassis tubes.My question is do you think it necessacary to have put it on a frame to support the whole base of the tank for ot to pass the SVA?( bearing in mind raising the tank even a little would no longer make it a snug fit).

Thanks

Danny

Guest chris brown

Danny

I think I would forgo the "snug fit" and give it more support what you are doing at the present is putting the whole of the tank on 4 or 5 very small areas. As this may be ok static just think of the strain and pressure you will be subjecting it to when full and you hit a pot hole at 70 mph when all parts of the car feel it. It’s not like being in a soft sprung tin top where the suspension takes up 90% of the shock

hi danny

i have a plastic tank but fully supported on 20mm angle iron as a base frame the material is only 4mm thick could you not accomodate a 4mm height difference.i think chris's comments spot on my sva man spent a lot of time checking the tank and its supports

regards graham

ps chris have you got my cheque yet

Guest Daniel Aldridge

Thanks Chris and Graham.

Not the answer I wanted to hear but knew in my own mind it probably needed suporting after another member pointed it out to me on saturday.Oh well may only add another couple more days to the build. Thanks again.

Danny