What Makes You Want To Give Up ?

Guest satman

Well this is probably going to be my last posting on here and I want you all to know why.

I joined the community a short wile ago because I thought it would be useful to me haveing bought a 2B that someone else couldn't finish off. I'd always wanted a Lotus 7 or something similar and it all started because I saw a film with Patrick McGoohan who drove one and the thought of doing the same made me feel good.

I couldn't wait to make a start on it. that was only a few months ago, but things have changed. Up till now I still havent made a couple of dozen postings but I've certainly learned a lot in that short time. I've learned that when things go wrong inside a community its usually becuase something bigger has kicked off and everyone wants to voice their opinion on it. Im sure thats what happened when Robin Hood Sports Cars almost went out of business and becasue of that its caused a lot of back biting in here too. Lately its all got quite out of hand and it seems theres a lot of jealousy too which comes off the back of disagreements over ways to do things. so what, if you don't agree that should be the end of it why rant on about it ?

I've looked through the old postings and whats been writen tells me some of you sat back stirring it up instead of helping that businesses cause when they needed it most. Others of you were almost horrified at the thought of not being able to get the bits you needed to finish your cars, so what did you all do, you sat there arguing some more until one of the moderators came along an one or two occasions I think and closed the threads down. some of you said you felt awful about about what had been said on the Locost site but acting the way you people did what else could you expect. In the meantime Locost owners saw what was going on and no doubt had a good laugh at the communities expense.

Every time I look inside my garage now I'm reminded of the threads and what is written on here and so today having thought about it I offered my car to a neighbour who's now going to take it off my hands, probably at a loss of something near to £1500. But I really dont care any more. I just cant face finishing this car because all I will see every time I drive it, isnt the thought of good time feeling but the of the bad things I saw on here.

I still want a car similar to this, it has a feel good factor if thats the write thing to say but anything from Robin Hood doesnt do it any more for me so it 'll be a Westfield or something similar.

No doubt anything posted after this will include in it pointed remarks accusing individuals who have caused this but there are many contributors who have caused these arguments so no one single person is to blame.

I said in an erlier posting that Im not a particularly educated man, but I try to behave responsibly, perhaps I do have a little "go" now and then but nothing bad is intended and remember I didn't learn to read and write till I was almost 14 since as travellers we never really settled anywhere till I stayed with my aunt just when I started senior school, so through life I had a lot of catching up to do.

The buyer of my car is unlikely to want to contribute here because he knows why I'm selling it so Ive picked up and printed off all the answesr to the questions about the build, and I'll be passing the notes on with the rest of my paperwork. to help him through.

I 'll look at your replies but I'm definitly not writing any more on here. Thats it.

Edited by satman

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest carl leonard

Not to worry, looks like someone's getting a bargin!

Why don't you go out and buy a Cobra kit - those boys on the Cobra club site are a jolly bunch of chaps.

Carl.

Guest Tim Norman

Those are exactly the kind of responses I didn't want to see.

Satman I'm sorry that you have had your Hood experience spoilt by the back biting and frankly childless animosity that seems to be rife at the moment :( I hope that your neighbour finishes the car and actually gets to meet some of us in the flesh. If he has a prblem with the build and wants to speak to a grown up tell him to ring me.

If any of the children reading this have a problem with what I have written, then you too can ring me.

Guest ScotMac
Those are exactly the kind of responses I didn't want to see.

Satman I'm sorry that you have had your Hood experience spoilt by the back biting and frankly childless animosity that seems to be rife at the moment :( I hope that your neighbour finishes the car and actually gets to meet some of us in the flesh. If he has a prblem with the build and wants to speak to a grown up tell him to ring me.

If any of the children reading this have a problem with what I have written, then you too can ring me.

I completely agree Tim. I don't understand why some people on here feel the need to dump on RHSC/GBS and the RHOCAR community, just because of the recent RHSC troubles. I would think it would be time for us to come together to support the community and GBS, in order to move forward in a positive manner.

It saddens me when I see over 110,000 posts and people leaving because of 1 or 2 threads that have got out of hand. At the same time when you have over 1,750 people talking in once place, the chances of them all getting along is next to none. I've been running these forums now for over 8 years, and while we have had a few minor incidents and hackers I've always tried my best to let everyone speak and be free. So good luck with your next project, but this board will go on without you...

Well I've read all the same posts as everyone else and although some of them have got out of hand I'm not crying into my toolbox over it, it's just life. -_- Good luck for the future Satman and I hope it all works out for you. If you realy want a 7 type car then keep at it and you'll get there :D

Guest paul thompson

I agree with Tim, I find I am reading less and less of the posts. I am no longer a Robin Hood owner, (I hope she's still behaving herself Stu), but I regularly visit the forum to see if there is any help I can offer anyone and get the latest jokes from Chris'n'missus and Vacnic (excuse the spelling) but I find also that there seems to be less and less helping each other out and more and more sillyness. As I no longer own a car, I am noty a member, but I would like to think that I could contribute on occasions and help others in the way that I was helped during my build. Good luck Satman, I am just sad that your experiences were not as good as mine have been.

I'm sorry to hear what you've said Satman, I know it's hard, but you shouldn't let a few plonkers get under your skin, and if you think that getting a different type of kit, and subsiquently going onto different forums will be all love and roses, I'm afraid that you're in for a dissapointment, as there are the same type of people on all the forums, some considerably worse than how it's got here lately.

I recently have had a few PM's about the way that some people's attitude is getting right up the nose of members and visitors to the site, my reply was as it's an open forum, unless remarks are of a highly personal nature, or foul language is used, than everyone is entitled to their point of view, and the best response it not to even acknowledge their post, completely ignore it, respond only to genuine requests / replies that aren't designed to stir things up, I can only give you the same advice.

To the ones that are the "spoon merchants" it's time to take a look at yourselves, and stop now!

you're not gaining any repect for this community, it's members, or youselves.

If your comment isn't of help, don't make it!

Jim

Guest Tony Tank

To the ones that are the "spoon merchants" it's time to take a look at yourselves, and stop now!

you're not gaining any repect for this community, it's members, or yourselves.

Remember we have ALL been reliant on this site for HELP and INSPIRATION when we have hit hard times during the build or with any problems.

Let those at fault remember.

Tank ;)

I have noted that this forum has "gone down hill" a bit lately, there are less post in general and the replies are also getting bitchier. I know that sites can fall on hard times and i see it as our job now to bang the fools heads together and get this forum back to its former glory!

I know theres nothing we can do to get rid of the gimps at the moment, how about a points system for bitchy stirring comments and once a member accrues say 6 points they get a 24hour ban?

Guest TerryBarry
I know theres nothing we can do to get rid of the gimps at the moment, how about a points system for bitchy stirring comments and once a member accrues say 6 points they get a 24hour ban?

Nice idea Tom - but someone has to enforce it and this may need a sub-committee to decide on what is or is not "Bitchy or Stirring"

Remember that there are people out there (the world in general, not this group in particular) who would wear their suspensions as "A Badge of Honour"

Terry

This is a period of time to be ridden out, genuine help comes from genuine people, i have said before web sites and forums are a false enviroment where little men can become big. Don't rise to there bait that is what they want. Everyone i have met face to face (so far) is a genuine nice person only too willing to help.

This is probably the most comprehensive web site for the building of one make of cars, however once the bodywork issues are addresed a lot of it is generic.

When you count the number of unhelpfull or even downright rude postings you will find that it is only a vey few people that do this, all off which should know better... Don't tar us all with the same brush that is not fair to the majority. Also perhaps it is time for the majority to stand up and be counted, a few rude bullies should not be allowed to bring down the previously good reputation of this club. It takes a long time to build a good rep and only a few weeks to bring it down.

The rain has stopped so i am going back outside to work on the car (evicted from my garage last week so am building outside) I may be some time..............