Gearbox Moounting

Guest Twoscoops

Guest TerryBarry

The gearbox mounting plate goes underneath the floor & chassis plate.

I put mine on top initially to mark / drill the mounting holes - much better than trying to drill from underneath.

Terry

Is this diffewrent for the Sub-K?

as on the vud they have the rubber and metal mount ontop of the chassis and floor???

Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

eeek

Bobs

Hmm, I also followed the Sub-K vids and have the g'box mounted on top of the brackets and floor. The g'box-propshaft-diff run is a bit crooked!

I was thinking of playing about with the position of the g'box mount soon (as in over, under or between brackets/floor). This should also lift the engine at the front, as on my Sub-K, the sump and chassis member are touching without the mountings packed out with spacers.

If I ever get round to doing this, I'll post results...

F.

Guest johnboymac

my sub-k is the same as feeks, i.e. the mounting is above the bracket which means the sump is touching\ resting on the crossbar.

I would be interested to hear what happens with the mounting under the bracket feek? as otherwise Im thinking that I would have to pack the engine mounts, but there is very little clearance under the bonnet - certainly not enough for the oil cap.

John

Johnboy,

I can just squeeze the oil filler under the bonnet - I guess my engine must be a bit more off to the side, allowing the central "seam" to clear the cap. :D

I've found that I can't get the nylocs to truly bite into the top of the engine mount thread, so a solution is on my "must do soon" list! :ph34r: Should add that I've packed under the mounts enough to give about a 5-6mm gap between sump and chassis.

Cheers,

F.

Guest Twoscoops

NippyKev

That was the same reason i asked but after trying to mount it any higher I found the propshaft was at too much of an angle to the diff, so I stuck it underneath as suggested here.