Gearbox Spacer

Snapperpaul

Found this while trawling other sites for spares and upgrades, it's sold unfortunately but it would allow me to put the V6 type 9 box in my car, slightly better first gear ratio giving 30 in first with a 3.9

Need to find some one to mill it up but what price i wonder?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the thickness is a sensible size, the majority of that would be as easy made by laser cutting

do a search for teddy edward on ebay, and ask him...

he has made me several flanges, my grill and i have even supplied him gaskets as drawings

that would just leave the cut out bit to do

Found a couple of V6 type 9's on ebay for little money, just a bit far away. If the spacer costs are reasonable then i may go ahead (as a winter project). T5's are still £300 and close ratio Quafe boxes (some on the westy site) are stupid money.

Still looking and thinking.

Guest salty_monk

Judging by what I used to pay for AL prototypes you should be able to get that done for 100 quid or less....

If it's not urgent & you find someone who will do it in his lunch hour then prob substantially less...

Dan :)

Thickess has to be 32mm.

Thanks for that now i know one of the dims the rest i should be able to get from the bell housing.

Peter i am just starting out on the research now that i have a bit of time, as the car is outside (no garage) and its cold.

I will resurect this post every time i have more info, may have to join the westy site so i can ask some questions, however money does not seem to be an issue with a lot of them, so prices are high.

i have even supplied him gaskets as drawings

Thanks erichetherington, why do the simple ideas pass me by, 32mm thick and this (the gasket) shape with clearance for the bearing cover and the job is done.

Does the bell housing to gearbox have a Gasket? More research to be done or carfully trace out the back of the bell housing.

He wanted £30 which i thought was cheap but i could not get there quick enough, Jaffer has been in touch and when i get the dims sorted we may go forward, i said it would probably generate a fair bit of interest as its the cheap way to a better first gear ratio.

I have emailed the seller asking where he got it, how much it cost and could he measure it for me.

On the WSCC site someone said it was 25mm thick which sounds a little strange as the end of the shaft that goes into the flywheel crankshaft bush looks longer to me.

If i can't find the correct dims i would start with 32mm thick and if that was to much have it milled back to suit.

The 32mm dimension. Input shaft length on standard type 9 to front face of gearbox is 145mm. Shaft length on 2.8 type 9 is 177mm. I'm assuming the bellhousings are the same but if not then using a standard type 9 bellhousing the spacer would be 32mm. You could probably get away with a few mm either way.

Nigel

Guest salty_monk

If you can get a drawing of these & someone wants to take it on (i.e. the organisation) as a "bulk buy" I have a few contacts in the UK & in China that could be useful.....

Any left would probably do well on Ebay I would think.

I would do it myself but being in the wrong country it's too difficult.....

Dan :)

Guest salty_monk

Not much to it... you could definitely get them knocked up cheaper than that, I didn't realise they were simply flat.

Now you know the thickness I bet the rest would be fairly easily apparent if you had a box, i.e. bolt pattern, diameter of that keyway etc