Headlamp Mudguard Clash- Any Thoughts

baj25

I used full steering lock for the first time on my (un-SVA’d) 2B while moving it around the garage yesterday. Unfortunately, I found that the front mudguards clash with the headlamp shells. Tried a search but found nowt. Will this sort itself out with final fix of mudguards, or do I need to lift headlamps? (not easy as I cut down the length of thread to make it neater)

TIA, Brian

You need to look at all possible clashes of front wheel and mudguard on full left and right lock. Many hoodies have fitted some mechanical device to the steering rack to limit full lock. Pic below shows two spacers I made up and fitted to the rack to achieve this.

Nigel

Guest salty_monk

I fitted 5" headlights instead of 7". That sorted it for me. Lamps were 60 quid from premier wiring. Better quality than RH (black ones I got) & use a halogen bulb, not sealed beam.

Sold the 7" ones on Fleabay for £25.

Dan

But how low is too low?

Low enough for the cycle wing to hit the headlamp !! :p

I have a pillar type chassis, so I dont have the plough, but 50mm sounds too low to me.

I had 3" clearance below the sump on mine...the sump was a Capri item that was 6+1/4 " deep.

The shortened sumps are 5+1/2 " deep, so it kind of depends on the sump you have fitted.

If you are still building, the car may have settled down over time. It will settle even further, quicker

once its on the road.

Rule of thumb is that the wishbones should angle down "slightly" at the wheel end.

Bob

Guest salty_monk

It probably does to a degree in as much as you are unlikely to have full lock wound on going round a bend & hit a big enough bump to bottom the suspension...

It's possible but unlikely, much more likely to only touch in a car park situation when the car will be going slowly & height will be stable.

Your point is the 100% correct way though.

If it's anything like mine they only just touch right on the edge, that why the 1" less radius more than sorted it for me. I imagine you could slot the chassis holes a bit & bring them in far enough that way too.

Dan :)