No Power To Coil / Pump

Joel

Hello all,

Just finished wiring up my Dad's 2.0ltr Pinto injection.

At ignition position II, the fuel pump primes and there's power to the coil, but at the final ignition position the engine turns over but there's no power to the pump or coil. It's obviously just a 'switched ignition' issue, but not being electrically minded I don't know where to start :(

It's a Premier wiring system loom, and I'll attach a diagram to show how I've got it wired up.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you crank, the position sensor that plugs into the bottom of the dizzy (3 wires) tels the ECU to power up the coil (to give the spark) and run the fuel pump, check that it's plugged in

Crank position sensor is attached.

After a bit more investigation, there's power to the coil and the coil-dizzy main HT lead, but nothing beyond that - i.e. No power at the spark plugs. So something's amiss at the dizzy or whatever connects to it - cranks sensor / EECIV, etc.

Same situ at the fuel pump - it primes for a second or so at ignition position II, but nothing when I turn the engine over. :wacko:

Guest Dan_Beeston

Hi Joel,

Where abouts are you in Warwickshire?

I've got an injection Pinto running in my hood in Coventry (not on the road yet), and RedTrev is a bit of an electrical guru just round the corner from me if we can be of any help?

Cheers,

Dan

Grim, I'm getting battery voltage with the ignition switched on at pin 1 & 3 (fig 21), but I can't get a bulb to light as described in fig 22.

What does that conclude and where do I go from there?

Just as a side note, I was using a normal bulb and not an LED, would that make a difference?

Dan, I'm away in Aberdeen from this afternoon for a week, but unless I have a moment of clarity in the meantime I may well take you up on your offer after Christmas. Thanks.

Joel.

No a bulb won't work.

If you unplug the connector and are getting 12V across pins 1&3 with the ignition on then that's good.

This is a good test to try, make sure you don't have petrol everywhere as you'll blow yourself up, don't do it for too long as you'll flood the engine.

Unplug the centre HT lead from the coil and rest it about 10mm away from the head (so you can see the spark jump). Unplug the connector and switch the ignition on and short pin 2 to pin 1 of the flying connector with some wire, make and brake the connection so as to give it some pulses. The fuel pump should start, the coil will spark and you should hear the injectors firing.

If it sparks and runs the fuel pump then the problem is with the dizzy position sensor, if it doesn't happen then either the fault is somewhere else or you're not doing it properly. Don't short the two outside pins together i.e. pins 1 and 3 as you'll blow a fuse but you can short the centre pin to whatever you like and cause no damage.

Grim, I'm getting battery voltage with the ignition switched on at pin 1 & 3 (fig 21), but I can't get a bulb to light as described in fig 22.

What does that conclude and where do I go from there?

Just as a side note, I was using a normal bulb and not an LED, would that make a difference?

Did you have the dizzy connected to the wiring at the time that you had the bulb connected? it must be like this. You need to carefully remove the rubber sleeve and access the terminals for the rear.

I'm not sure if a bulb would work. my led didn't look like it had too many volts into it when i did this test (they tend to go dim if you do that), which would suggest there aren't enough volts to light a 12v bulb.

Try again with an led. If it still doesn't work, your dizzy is dead, get yourself another one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the help chaps :)

Right, I tried Guy's method of shorting pins 1 & 2 together, and I got a spark from the main coil HT lead, the fuel pump clicked and wired a few times but didn't run continuously (is that normal?), and I don't have a clue what the fuel injectors sound like so I couldn't tell you if they're working.

I couldn't get any spark beyond the main coil HT lead - i.e. no spark at the plugs, so I guess that narrows it down to the position sensor thing - is it just a case of replacing it for new?

As for the previous test with the bulb - Grim, I did the test as shown in the diagram with the sleeve pulled back etc, but unfortunately I don't have an LED test light. I was getting battery voltage though (fig21).

So again, in my limited electrical knowledge, I'd say it was pointing toward the crank position sensor??? :huh:

injectors firing is a noise you'll probably only hear under the bonnet. Get a friend / swmbo to crank as you're under the bonnet. If you're in any doubt, stick the pointy end of a screwdriver onto the body of teh injector and the blunt end on your ear (not the other way around ;) ) and you will hear it if they are firing. If not, it probably is the cps as you are getting voltage in the wiring.

Hmmm....I'm not so sure now :(

The injectors don't seem to be firing when I crank the engine, although I'm not 100% definate, and the fuel pump is only 'clicking' a bit.

Both are definately priming and firing respectively at ignition point 2 though :huh:

TFI module is definately there.

What's the fuel computer? I see the odd reference to it in Haynes. I thought I'd kept the complete engine loom, but the only 'computer' I have is the ESC IV module. The only other thing I can think of (which I've ditched) is the graphic display module - it was a ghia donor!

How have you lot joined the the pinto injection engine loom to an aftermarket loom?

Guest Daniel Aldridge

Joel

Check for battery voltage at the + pin on the dizzy plug during cranking,Should be the same as the battery voltage during cranking.

Check the voltage at the 0 pin on the dizzy plug,This should be a low voltage reading.

If you volt drop (battery negative to negative) or - pin on the dizzy you should have zero or certainly less than 0-5 volts.

If all the readings are correct and as I said before bridging 0 and - switches the coil and makes injectors pulse I was taught that is is almost certainly the dizzy.

Hope this helps

Danny