Car For Sale On Ebay

swan

Guest Petemate

Yes, Paul. It is "Z-Cars" and a nice little package it is. As well as a conversion for the 'Busa and I think R1 engines, there is also one for the Honda Civic power unit. The quality of the kits is first-class; I saw them at the International show one Jan a few years ago at the NEC. However, I believe they are under the microscope of the VOSA & DVLA with regard to "radically-altered" vehicles along with the likes of the Banham-style conversions.

Anyone thinking of any sort of conversion is wise to consider possible future actions by the official bodies. For up-to-date info, a visit to the NSRA forums makes interesting reading - the current state of play is well-covered by Kev Rooney (AKA Kapri). He is a mine of info on what is happening and likely to do so in the lurvely world of SVA.

Meanwhile, I would say the car looks VERY nice but caveat emptor and all that jazz........

Pete

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all seem to be missing 1 thing here its listed on Ebay as not haveing a v5 document ie a new type so it looks as though DVLA dont know about it anyway and the poor sod that buys it will find out the hard way long after it has been sold that he or she would not be able to use the vehicle in question untill it has had a SVA test

And Arch Motors is still more than happy to make a chassis for any Caterham or Lotus 7 including the Mk 2 although they do incorporate slight upgrades to allow for limited availability of some of the original running gear. So non availability of a chassis of the same specification as the original is just not true.

Anyone else getting bored with this thread? It seems that Warwick is not convinced by the opinions expressed on this thread nor on the similar Locosters thread and the sale continues. I very much doubt that the unlucky winner of the car will be an experienced kitcar owner and is unlikely to know he is buying both safety and legal problems. (Now on £3000, reserve not met).

Nigel

Guest Giggling_Buffoon

My simple thoughts.

1. To retain an age related plate you need to retain a minimum amount of the original vehicle (8 points as per INF 26 from the DVLA). So the engine counts as one point, but what else has been kept that adds up towards the points total?

2. Has the vehicle been 'radically altered'? My opinion is yes, its been radically altered because the chassis is not to the same standard as the original - effectively the chassis is modified as per the definition in the 'Radically Altered Vehicles' section of INF 26.

And also the section 'Vehicles that have been rebuilt using a mixture of new/used parts' says that the chassis should be of the same specification as the original. (as well as retaining two of the major sub assemblies)

Its worth noting that the INF 26 title is 'Guidelines for the registration of rebuilt or radically altered vehicles and kit cars'. This document is extremely clear regarding what is acceptable and not acceptable, and its worth going through to make sure that you do get the right registration.

So this is not a legal loop hole - its been closed up very throughly.

Guest captn Pugwash
Anyone seen / photographed this car since its 'registration' and knows what the registration number is?

Use the pictures off ebay, shows enough detail.

Question to the committee :- Is it in the clubs interest to have a member selling a car like this and getting the club a bad name. Is there nothing in the constitution of the club that can be brought into force.

If this car reaches the reserve price, I feel that the club will have let down a unknowing kit car novice, how can we hold our heads up in the world of kit car, we become as bad as the owner. could we be accessories to murder if some one was killed in this car.

I for one am not going to have it on my conciance that some one buys a potential problem car, having bought one myself off ebay. Someone has to spill the beens. Its only right, who will explain to the fatal persons mother that all the robin hood members knew of the danger this car being on the road.

Guest salty_monk

I'm definitely bored of this thread, Enforcer I think whatever you do in your official capacity is a little unfair but it's your call... you guys are never "off duty".

Dan :)

Question to the committee :- Is it in the clubs interest to have a member selling a car like this and getting the club a bad name. Is there nothing in the constitution of the club that can be brought into force.

Although I am not part of the committe, I do not believe that Warwick ever joined the club. Although he has helped out and been on these boards for quite some time.... So no I do not think RHOCaR as such can do anything. I'm not sure what can be done to be honest.

Can you not search for lotus 7s in and around the truro area then narrow it down to stu (warwicks) car? I remember a friend of mine was caught by the police for a driving offence, they only had half his reg mark but managed to track him down as it wasnt a common car in the area. And how hards it going to be to find a lotus 7?

Dan

There are times for a liberal 'laissez faire' attitude (sort of fits the 'Robin Hood' story really). I don't believe this is one of them.

Would any of us like to answer to a Coroner on this one if it subsequently transpired that every one of us here knows damn well that this car has not had ministry approval and that there are serious doubts about the safety of the structure?

How would you feel if you paid out thousands for a 1969 Lotus and actually bought an untested 2006 Robin Hood? Someone is going to pay thousands for this car, assuming the reserve is met. They are going to lose a lot of money, but I'm more concerned about someone losing a life. Any MOT station will not question the validity of the structure because it's already registered and one day this will all result in a tragedy.

You might think that this is ok (I'm alright Jack) but I can tell you now that there are many, many of us in this club that utterly condemn this. Warwick decided to advertise what he has done to the world and risk the consequences. If I decide to report the matter then I know for a fact I would not be acting alone. -_- Any concerned person who has seen this item on ebay can report it to the police / ebay / DVLA. I know some already have. I can't see why you think if I did the same this would somehow be 'unfair'?

I can only see one person being unfair around here and I'm amazed you condone it.

I don't think Warwick would be in the least upset if it were reported. He is quite confident as he has twice stated on the board that the process he has followed is entirely legitimate and that the car is what he says it is. Bit irritated by the minor inconvenience of having to talk briefly to either a representative of the DVLA or the police to justify the car is correctly registered and no required procedures have been avoided but he would then be able to continue the sale and laugh at those of us who are convinced the car is a ringer. I'm surprised he hasn't popped in to DVLA himself to get some supporting document to shut us all up!

Nigel

Guest Busa Rush

if anyone knows the reg number of this car they should do the right thing and tell enforcer.. I have made some phone calls, but it's a police matter now so nothing can be done without some details..

caterham were very interested..

Dave..

Guest timswait

Enforcer, I think you may have got the wrong end of what Dan was saying, I read him as saying he wanted you to take action, but that it was a little unfair to ask you to do so.

I not going to get involved too deeply with this but; the law of deception / fraud is complex. My initial impression is that the situaton is pretty much explained in the advert particualry with reference to the Robin Hood connection. I'm really not sure that this constitutes a criminal offence, however, I am unable to access the legal database from my current location / position.

There may well be civil issues around VOSA/DVLA/ Caterham etc, or possibly sale of goods act, which is not a police matter but a local authority one. I feel there is definitely a concience issue around the roadworthyness of the lightweight, but I have not kept up to date on the progress of these chassis.

I would suggest that you should not see Ricard as the RHOCAR police enforcement officer and bombard him with requests / demands for action. If Richard believes an offence has been committed he has the discretion to undertake action on his own behalf, but any individual is at liberty to contact the force where any alleged offence has been committed to make a complaint.