Rager

Guest TerryBarry

Guest trevor hooley

3 seris compact would make an ideal donar car, small cheap easy to find, 4cl 1.6 - 1.8 1.9 2ltr or 6cyl 2.3. pick them up for £1000 now with service history.

karl

BMW eh?

i saw on a locost web-site that bmw's have been used in left-hand-drive se7ens

however as the 3 series is designed as a LHD the engine is on a slant .you will have problems locating the steering colomn and pedals within the confined space under the bonnet.

check it out for yourself :huh:

http://locost7.info/mirror/z7locost.php

however if RH can squeeze a 325i straight six into a hood i'd be very intrested

Guest mickmellors

I asked the same question at the show and the answer I got was - 'It is 20% heavier, 50% more power as standard and 200% more tunable' That was the nearest I got to a 'proper' answer but it does set you thinking, especially with some of the D, E, F and G registered BMW prices going like they are. 2 weeks ago I saw a driveable 325 on a G plate with a slightly crunched front wing, bonnet and passenger door up for sale with tax and MOT for £400 ONO - £300 in crisp £10 notes would probably have secured the deal. A mate drives an older 730 which is on private plates but I think it is a D reg, and he only paid £250 for it 2 years ago, and it is absolutely stunning condition, too good to be a donor ! The BMW's will soon be the only rear wheel drives available to the Kit Car builder.

It amazes me that rear wheel drive Vauxhall Carltons never became popular donors. My E plate 2.O efi was a great car. There were also 2.6 and 3.0 versions all of which can be found on more recent plates for well under £500 with Tax and MOT.

Guest Chris.A.
It certainly looked fun at first glance, but those rear lights inside chrome headlights, right behind the rear wheels, ugh! no! they'll last about 2 weeks before the chrome is knackered, i think that the rearlights should be somewhat mor conventional inside a housing of some sorts. Apart from that I think it's a goer!

;) well, the first thing I thought when I admired the backend of the RAVER at Donnington was, I could give this the seeing to it deserves if JIM doesn`t get there first!

so , if they bought one would they be "HOODIES" ? or something else? especialy if they like the big lump in the back instead of the front!

personally, ( sorry,.....I just laught then....)personally I think transverse ,rear option is the best thing for Richard Stuart . ( I`m not being rude ,mate, honest.)

( I sent him a load of bumf and ideas about 2 years ago......Gena,God bless her wrote back saying that Richard did not take me seriously......) xverse rear power unit HAS to be the way to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry lads but I guess shes gotta take it from behind.

Surely its possible to put a fwd engine into the rear thus making a rwd :D

I am thinking about this for my next project (if there is a next project :rolleyes: )

Dave

PS would it do wheelies?

FWD transverse lumps into the rear to make RWD transverse cars is nothing new. There are quite a few that did it with the Mini as the rear brakes can be fairly easily put on the "front" hubs so that you get a handbrake. The Carcraft Cyclone did the same thing with the Vauxhall setup in a sevenesque type car. Personally I'd love one but they aren't available any more. Effectively this is what Lotus have done with the Elise.

Iain

Get yourself to your local grass tracking and see the number of novas and stuff converted to run sri130 engines in the boot, or even the class-A stuff with twin hyabusa lumps sat behind the back axle on a space frame that weighs about as much as a sheet of tissue

The acceleration looks immense, but the wheelies might not be road legal :D

Morty

I used to have a hand in making Trikes, one popular method was a Mini engine, the only problem was the gear change linkage but we sorted it and it was a grate sucsess.