Petition

Guest Alasdair

Guest Alasdair

A friend of ours had their car stolen, it was subsequently found smashed up in a wood, it had clearly been stolen for the pleasure to be obtained from it's destruction. It seems wrong to me that insurance companies should have pay for the deliberate destruction of property, or for any loss due to crime if the perpetrators can be found. This just pushes up the premiums so we all have to pay more and does not act as a deterrent.

It also seems wrong to me that burglars can be caught and not be required to pay restitution for the items they have stolen (and probably sold for peanuts). Once again it is the insurance companies who have to stump up.

So - Being impressed with the No. 10 petition system (where that anti-road charging petition is) I have submitted my own. Please have a read, if you like the sound of it please add your signature and tell your friends about it.

The petition sorting system displays 50 on one page, in order to get on the first page I will need something around 1200 signatures so that's my target.

Here is the link:

Click Here

Alasdair

Id gladly sign it but the problem I have is when our works van got 3 pannels kicked in but some little scrote who was caught, tried and found guilty he was ordered to pay compensation to us, we got £15 of the £65 that was 8 years ago and according to the court he has "vanished" so if your expecting the criminal to pay up theres going to be a risk that they wont do so! if your expecting the govenment to do so theres a risk that it will put your Tax up!

Guest Alasdair

That's why I am proposing that the system for collecting the payments will be via the Inland Revenue and stopped from wages at source. Even young offenders will be earning at some point in their life. If there is no record at the Inland Revenue the details will be retained until there is.

Even young offenders will be earning at some point in their life. If there is no record at the Inland Revenue the details will be retained until there is.

you sure :lol:

I do like the idea just cant see the Gov coughing up for the benafit of the insurers

Its a nice idea but its likly to increase crime, not decrease it. This would create a point after which a criminal would be better off staying a criminal rather than going legit and having the IR take some of his earning.

Consider what will happen when an offender gets out from a long stretch and the inland revenue have records that he owes £50,000? Considering he is an offender and very likely to be low paid you would have to take a sizeable chunk of his income to get that back in any reasonable period of time. So now the offender can either take a minimum wage job and loose 10,20,30% of it. Or he can go back to crime and take home more money none of which will be taken back by the IR.

Take another example, a 64 year old gets out of prison owing a lot to the IR for his crimes. He has no savings so he is going to get a minimum pension. It would be inhumane to take any of that away, so he has a year in which he could get a low paying job for a year and from his point of view have a large chunk of his earning taken away, but from the victims view the amount will be hardly anything. Or he could sit on the dole for a year, which would be inhumane to deduct from. Or he could try his luck on another crime spree and take home a lot more money, so long as he doesn't slip up and get caught he is laughing.

Guest crwoodford

I reckon if they are caught, they should be sent to a 3 start hotel, with Gymnasium, Library, Central Heating, clean bedding, 3 Square Meals a day, communial gardens, Colour TV, Pool Table, Rent Free, Council Tax Free with the chance of learning a new skill and get paid a wage, albeit minimum.

Doh!!.... silly me... that what happens already.....

<climbs down off soapbox and checks my January Gas bill>

Regards to all

Col (Taunton)