Caught Speeding

Guest Alasdair

Guest Alasdair

Hi,

Following the failure of my last petition (7 signatures so far!) I thought I would try again...

Recently a family member (not me) got caught by a speed camera one night after a moment's inattention and now has points on an otherwise blemish-free motoring record. We both thought it was unfair, so I've got a petition up about it! I am suggesting that if you have 10 years penalty-free motoring you should be let off a minor speeding offence with just a warning, a sort of "no claims" bonus.

Anyway - if you're interested you can find it Here.

You never know, it might be you next. ;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could rub a few people up the wrong way with that. Ive only been driving 4 years and dont see why i should get penalised harder for a mistake than an experienced driver who should know better.............just my two penny worth

Guest crwoodford

Mmmm interesting... but is 10 years blemish free motoring

the same as 10 years without getting caught? :ph34r:

I personally think a periodic re-test would catch a few people out :unsure:

Ho hum.. best of luck with the petition.

Regards

Col (Taunton)

Guest richlloyd

Im with tom 2b here ! what if his momentary lapse on concentration that got him a speeding fine was him hitting a child or another car, because he has been driving for 10 years should he get away with it but a 20year should get the book thrown at him!!!

I for one think you have total control when you are the driver and should acept the mistakes you make and the actions that come of it.

Guest paul091085

id have to agree with Tom as well. i got 3 points after doing 44 in a 40. was in an area i didnt know, looking for a road and didnt see a forward facing camera. Its my own fault for not concentrating, but id be a little bit p**ed off ive i got more points because i was only 19 at the time!

Hmm, interesting idea but a non-starter as the law only recognises one standard of driving. Every driver is judged the same, whether they have just passed their test or have a lifetime of experience.

Sorry, but I can't see why it us 'unfair'.

Guest jcb1300
I am suggesting that if you have 10 years penalty-free motoring you should be let off a minor speeding offence with just a warning, a sort of "no claims" bonus

Sounds a strange idea to me.

How often do you wish to be let off before you are deemed to be a habitual minor speeding offender?

Whats a minor speeding offence anyway and who decides ?

Thing that sticks in my mind is the Public info' ad on Tv with the kid slumped against a tree " At 40 MPH 80% of pedestrians involved in an accident will die at 30mph 80% will survive. says enough for me.

I've been unfortunate enough to knock down 2 people, one a small child, luckily both survived almost uninjured. The reason for their survival I'm sure was my reduced speed.

The thing to remember is that though motoring technology and crash protection has moved on the human body is still the same as it was several thousand years ago.

Sorry can't sign your petition this time.

Lecture and rant over.

Guest TerryBarry

This reminds me of someone I have met.

"I've driven for over forty years and never had a single accident"

What he ignored were all those accidents he'd left in his wake over that time :)

Guest ultima dreamer

After much thought (as i feel strongly about this subject) i think you wont get many peps to sign.

1. the punishment fits the crime! if you were given a heavy fine say, would you moan about it?

When you come to renew your insurance, be ready for at least a 10% rise for your points!

Yes i have been done for speeding after 17 years of driving! and done recently! :(

you have to ask yourself has the point system worked and i think you'll find when driving from now on you will watch your speed, if you don't well its possible 3 more points <_<

maybe you could blame the car manufacturer, after all modern cars now are bloody comfy and fast.

if you were in your hood :wub: would you have been speeding? as i found that if you go above a certain speed it gets bloody uncomfortable even with the hood up!

so sorry no sig from me

but good luck