Power Steering Pump Rover Engine

Guest allenr03

Guest allenr03

I'm having difficulty getting the right unions for this pump so I can use the hose RH supplied. What would happen if I just didn't bother fitting the hose and ran the pump without any fluid in it since the car doesn't actually have power steering?

I know this is probably a dumbass question :rolleyes:

Guest Deviousdavey

Richard, I've seen a post on this before........ and it said not to run the pump dry, I think the fluid lubricated the pump vanes aswell as steers the car?

Dave

Guest Dan_Beeston

Hi Richard,

It is correct you should not run the pump dry, it will sieze in time and you will lose drive to anything else driven by the same belt (water pump, alternator etc)

We've had the same issue retrofitting electrohydraulic power steering systems to vehicles built with engine-driven PAS.

You have three options:-

1) Fill the pump with fluid and loop the unions with a short length of hose so the fluid just cycles round (no use if you can't get unions!)

2) Dismantle the pump and remove the vanes, then put some fluid in to lubricate the bearings and seal up the union holes

3) Remove the pump altogether & fit a shorter belt

Hope one of these helps! :)

Cheers,

Dan

The steerin pump is part of the water pump and unless you want to try and remove the pump bits you an;t run it dry or it will sieze and that will cause the water pump to seize as well

Not sure what unions you mean.

Mine came with the bottom union on anbit bent and not properly sealed but it was on.

The top came seperate and simply threaded in.

I then made a coper u piece out of 1.2 plumbing pipe and used the flexible to connect this to the unions to form a closed system.

Then it was a matter of with one flexible off to fill the system it only takes a little fluid to aid the process of filling I turned the engine over using a socket on a longish handle.

This really all needs to be done before the side panel is fitted to get good access.

If the picture attached correctly it shows the basic idea.

Cheers Tony G

Guest allenr03

I guess that makes sense, I'll find a way....... Thanks for the help

The steerin pump is part of the water pump and unless you want to try and remove the pump bits you an;t run it dry or it will sieze and that will cause the water pump to seize as well

Not sure what unions you mean.

Mine came with the bottom union on anbit bent and not properly sealed but it was on.

The top came seperate and simply threaded in.

I then made a coper u piece out of 1.2 plumbing pipe and used the flexible to connect this to the unions to form a closed system.

Then it was a matter of with one flexible off to fill the system it only takes a little fluid to aid the process of filling I turned the engine over using a socket on a longish handle.

This really all needs to be done before the side panel is fitted to get good access.

If the picture attached correctly it shows the basic idea.

Cheers Tony G

No pic Tony but I would like to see it, can you PM me with it?

I guess it will be a sod to sort out since I have already fitted the side panel, it'll come off if need be though.

Thanks

Guest nik4chef

Hi Richard, many of us with the Rover engined Superspec have had same problem.

Pump must have fluid in/going through it.

I went to local scrapyard and got a power steering reservoir that is common to nearly all Rover 25/45 600 and 800 ( also get the mounting/bracket - get a couple of different types from various Rovers - and adapt ) and mounted it just nearby under radiator and used hose that was previously on the res, just clean all parts up to look as new as poss for build-up inspection.

This works perfectly and ensures lubrication.

Hose as supplied by R Hood was ridiculed by SVA man!

Hope this helps,Stan. :)

Guest paul thompson

As I work for the company that supplied the rover pump, I can confirm what has been said already. However, if you leave the vanes in, then you are using power to push the fluid around the pump. It is only 6 bolts to seperate the pump, bieng careful with the big o ring that seals it. take off the pressure plate and remove the 10 vanes and the rotor, put the pressure plate back on so that the cam ring is clamped and relace the cover. part fill with oil and let the shaft rotate in it without the rotor or vanes and you can seal the pump up. Don't fill the pump completely as the thing will get hot and there won't be any space for the oil to expand so pressurising the pump and possibly causing leaks.

That should do it.