Top Gear (usa Trip)

Mat-Moo

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was struck with how desolate the whole place is. Hate to live there, and would certainly not go there.Remember, that car dealer with the pistol in his pocket and a rifle indoors is a real person, not an actor, and he really does have these weapons to hand.

Nasty place.

:huh:

lets remember this is a light entertainment programme, Panorama it's not.

Jon,not wanting to cause any offence, but i'm left wondering about this desolate,nasty place where you would hate to live but you" would never go there"? :huh:

from my limited experience( a few trips to Florida,New York etc) i can honestly say I've enjoyed being Stateside alot more than trips into Europe :D

As for gun toting car salesmen, try the east end of Newcastle :o :lol:

I personally thought the show quite humorous, although Clarkson openly admits he hates the USA.

all in my humble opinion of course ;)

cheers

ek B)

I've never been to America so perhaps this is an unfair comparasin, but I often wonder how the populations of the USA and Australia turned out to be so different, considering they essentially both originated from our shores! :mellow: - Australians: a friendlier, more welcoming bunch of people you'd struggle to find, and Americans: (as Mr. Clarkson quite rightly pointed out) bred with vegetables!! :wacko: :p

Very funny program though :D

In my opinion the entire show was written on Clarksons laptop whilst enjoying a glass or two of best Scotch in the study of his converted lighthouse on the Isle of Man (yes it's true, he is a seriously rich bloke), he then submitted the story to his boss (who is also his best mate) who edited a few bits, they then sent a "fixer" out a week or two before the shoot to set things up. During shooting a few improvisations were made. Me a cynic? No. :D I've just sat in too many airports reading (and laughing at) Clarksons best sellers.

Guest timswait
Clarkson openly admits he hates the USA.

I don't understand why Clarkson hates the USA. He is the embodiment of everything he claims to hate about it: arrogant, rude, ignorant, loud, brash, greedy and wasteful seems a pretty complete description of Clarkson.

He should try living in Alabama, he might enjoy it.

Oh and another thing about Clarkson. His family sold Paddington Bears in olden times and made a fortune. When the family wrapped up the business Clarkson spent his share on his first new Ferrari, it's a hard life. Oh and another thing, he's a twat. :D

Guest salty_monk

I like Top Gear & it was poo without Clarkson.....

My local garage owner doesn't have a gun (or maybe he does...) who knows :D

I think maybe a couple of people on here who might not have a great deal of experience of America or American's should pull their heads in....

Dan :)

before i went to the states i didnt like it at all in theory, thought it would be tacky, the people fake, with no idea what was going on outside their own state, inbred yokels etc etc etc.

what i actually found after a couple of trips is that i really love it. and given the chance i'd go back. it was a close thing that stopped me moving out there to work when i got the offer.

on my first trip i finally got to my hotel room at 2 am US time, woke up at 5 US time wide awake drove up to where i needed to be and ended up in the middle of the national hot rod convention. after about 8 hours in the country i was wandering round a car show with fellow petrol heads showing off their creations and it felt like i was back home. pick of the show was a moggy with a chevy!

yes some of the food is odd, but some is absolutely amazing, people do say have a nice day, but i'm starting to think that they actually mean it, theres actually a pride in providing you with great service, rather than the english grudging acknowledgement that they have to do it in case their boss is watching it also has some amazing cities and some gorgeous open spaces.

the point i'm trying to long windedly make is that the image it has isnt always relfected in the real thing. the warmth of the people, the place itself and the occasional barmy moment make it my favourite place to go at the moment.

two,penneth etc

:huh:

lets remember this is a light entertainment programme, Panorama it's not.

Jon,not wanting to cause any offence, but i'm left wondering about this desolate,nasty place where you would hate to live but you" would never go there"? :huh:

from my limited experience( a few trips to Florida,New York etc) i can honestly say I've enjoyed being Stateside alot more than trips into Europe :D

As for gun toting car salesmen, try the east end of Newcastle :o :lol:

I personally thought the show quite humorous, although Clarkson openly admits he hates the USA.

all in my humble opinion of course ;)

cheers

ek B)

Yes, I'm sure it's a really lovely neighborhood to bring up kids in. No, I would never go there, but I could change my mind, I suppose. My wife's been you NY and she loved it, although she only went for a weekend's shopping so didn't have much time to take it all in.

No offence taken - it's only my opinion I'm airing. I laughed, too, but I thought they were pretty stupid to risk their necks with all that "car decoration".

:)

Your right, they were very stupid to risk their necks for nothing. It's the equivalent of going to sit with the Newcastle fans in a red & white striped shirt and singing "Shearer's a w**ker". Just to put it in terms i understand easily! :)

Guest manglemender

Light entertainment it is, and I did laugh out loud.

As has been previously mooted, I'm sume that it is predominantly planned and JC likes to say outragous things that sometimes cross the line of good taste in the name of "Freedom of Speech".

I can't agree with his conclusions though. Like any country, America has its fair share of idiots but that image belies the vast majority of the populous that are intelligent, warm and friendly; like any country.

I've visit America numerous times for both work and pleasure, including Southern Texas and Goergia. In travels around the world myself and friends have: been shot at (more than once!), had to bribe police/border guards, had to pay "Security Fees" for car parking in Southern Italy, Been robbed in Bogata, Lives threatened in Jo'burg, Car Jacked in Jo'burg. The list goes on, but none of these were in the USA.

Sure... I've ended up in the wrong end of town a couple of times in the states but then I've done that in Manchester too. On the whole the USA is a great place to visit and I would particularly reccommend the North East as being my favourite part.

I do like Top Gear but I would like to see a bit more car stuff.

Nick

before i went to the states i didnt like it at all in theory, thought it would be tacky, the people fake, with no idea what was going on outside their own state, inbred yokels etc etc etc.

what i actually found after a couple of trips is that i really love it. and given the chance i'd go back.

yes some of the food is odd, but some is absolutely amazing, people do say have a nice day, but i'm starting to think that they actually mean it, theres actually a pride in providing you with great service, rather than the english grudging acknowledgement that they have to do it in case their boss is watching it also has some amazing cities and some gorgeous open spaces.

the point i'm trying to long windedly make is that the image it has isnt always relfected in the real thing. the warmth of the people, the place itself and the occasional barmy moment make it my favourite place to go at the moment.

two,penneth etc

couldn't agree more :D

never saw the appeal of the place, that was until Tracey badgered me into going :p

It's a great sight to see the flag flying everywhere you turn, try it in England and i think some would mistake patriotism for racism.

The only downside being was when you got talking to locals they would keep us there for ages :o

apparently most "just love the british accent" strewth and I'm broad geordie for gods sake :lol:

Jon, please give it a try, NY is amazing :wacko:

ek B)

Guest captn Pugwash

Been to florida 3 time 2000, 2001 2003, bloody great time, cannot faqult it, if you have never tried it, go for it, its ausom.

Petrols cheap, sorry Ga, as for the shootings, its a load of bollo**s, how many shooting on the news toninght (new poll perhaps),

We stayed for a total of 7 weeks and heard of one case, someone ropbbing macdonalds late at night. and the burgers there are massive, clarckson would have struggled to get a big mac meal on that car roof.

The biggest mac donalds is a four story building, one the way to Sanford airport. Massive. The foods good, the lifestyle is hard, but given half a chance, I would go straight away.

To those whom havent been go for it, fly virgin it better and enjoy. size wise, think big and double it, licra stretches like you wouldnt believe, saw a woman sat on a concrete rubbish bin an a theme park, wearing licra trousers and a white top, she looked like a bloody Mr wippy (69) ice cream. :( :blink: you can fit 4 englands head to tail onto florida, its that big.

Ps liked the program :) :) :)

Captn Pugwash

And not forgetting Stigs american cousin - Big Stig :D :D :D

At work on Monday they said that I was fat Sig.

( Cheek lost over a stone sinc Jan )

I have just watched it again as had a phone call in the middle on Sunday.

Very good. I have driven from NY to LA in the 1980's and it brought back memories of my road trip Washington, Dallas, Memphis, Grand canyon, Las Vegas, Death Vally . Jon do go we stayed with a family in new jersey and were made very welcome.

We did not have to buy the car or rent it. A, retired Hollywood set designer who lived in La 6 months and NY 6. We delivered it only had to pay for fuel still no ac though very hot 500 miles a day. Got to grand canyon and had to disconnect Speedo slight to many miles on the clock by then.

Stephen