Fog Light

gomatthome

hi i have a single fog light which is wired up so that it is only on when the lights are dipped ie it turns off if main beam is used. It has recently stopped working.

before anyone suggests it yes i have checked the bulb and the connections to the dash mounted switch. am i missing something simple as dont want to start unbundelling all the electrics to find any break if i can at all help it.

ps do you need a working fog light for MOT.

phil

yes you need a fog light for mot.

Have you got a relay installed? I had an issue where i had the wrong type of relay fitted, which allowed the relay to work, but only for a few minutes, before the relay burnt out.

Try and trouble shoot in sequence from start of circuit to end. How have you wired it? Dip circuit/bulb/switch/earth or some other devious plan. Check all the junctions in sequence with a voltmeter to see how far the lectric gets. Should help you to localise the fault and minimise any tear down of the loom.

Nigel

yes i have a relay its the original yellow one from the sierra donor. i think this one controls the dip main etc which is working.

i will try changing over as i have a spare and see what happens.

in meantime if anyone has another suggestions would be happy to hear.

phil

Check with a meter if there is a voltage to the bulb when it is switched on, if there is you have a bad earth, easily sorted. If there is no power to the bulb then check at the switch, if there is power there then the problem is in the loom somewhere. Just work your way through the system. The fog light should work when the headlights are on main and dip beams. <_<

Peter

Guest paul091085
I've wired my foglight up now (no relay). It only works on Dipped and I was told that this is OK :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

If you are needing to use a fog light, would you not already have the headlights on mainbeam? :unsure:

Guest paul091085

clicky

Not sure how valid this page is, but the bit on fog lights says

"REAR FOG LIGHT(S) Switch on the high-intensity red rear light(s) — your headlights need to be on dipped beam. If fitted, fog lights must work, so must the interior 'tell-tale' light on the instrument panel"

I stand corrected :)

Update.

OK, I've just spoken to a guy at Beverley SVA.

I explained to him that my Fog light ONLY works on Dipped Beam (This is how the VG Loom is configured).

The SVA man said that if the light went out when I flicked to Main Beam, then that would be a No No.

Looks like therefore there's a problem with the VG Loom (surprise surprise). :)

Basically, the SVA man said that there needed to be a Fog Light (and a Tell-Tale switch) and that it didn't have to be controlled by the general lighting circuitry.

I'm going to configure mine so that it operates only when the headlights are on (Dipped Beam or Main Beam) unless of course, I switch it off via it's own switch.

mmmm Not quite sure how to go about this. :unsure:

Does anyone have a diagram regarding this?

Do I need a Relay - Surely not? :unsure:

Clear as mud - :D :D

Guest Daniel Aldridge

Wired ours thru the side lights, As I recall we used the side light feed to opperate a relay and the fog light feed to the relay was via the ignition, Because the sierra switch was used the tell tale light is incorperated. Passed SVA ok like this.

Hope this helps

Danny

Thanks for the suggestions.

i had power in to the switch as the indicator light turned on but no power out of the switch back to the fog lights. Traced the wiring back to the main lights relay and fiddled with the connections and the fog light came back on again.

ps fog light only on when beam dipped it goes off when on main beam but i guess if ever driving in fog you would be on dipped beam anyway.

it passed through SVA this way but i think i was only asked to put the fog light on to show it worked. I am not intending to change unless picked up in a mot test.

again thanks for the suggestions it was so long ago i did the wiring its hard to remember how i eventually made the vicky green loom work.

Phil