Collapsable Steering Column Boss - Superspec

Guest nik4chef

Guest nik4chef

Can any Superspec owners who have had to replace their Boss for a collapsable type (SVA) let me know exact make of Boss they bought? and which supplier? I need to order on Internet as I can't get out and about at moment.

I'm having difficulty sourcing one for SVA -Name of manufacturer would be a great help!

Thanks - Stan.

Momo, Sparco, Mountney. Source from Europa, Demon Tweeks, Rally Design, Merlin Motorsports.

I would give Merlin Motorsports at Castle Coombe a ring on 01249 782101. Their prices and service have always been very good in my experience. Make sure you buy one that fits your wheel and column!

Nigel

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Stan,

You'll probably find that most of the Mountney collapsible bosses won't fit the pattern of your steering wheel if it's the RH supplied one. I believe they call it the 'Classic' pattern, the only collapible boss I could find for mine was one for the 'M' type pattern, which has a smaller diameter. I got one of these and made up an adapter plate to allow the old wheel to be bolted to this boss.

I'll try and take some photos tonight.

Phill.

EDIT :

Image003.jpg

Image002.jpg

I don't understand - is the RH column (adjustable one) not colapsable due to the off centre double links for the steering shaft. I thought that the point was if there was a front end hit then as long as the steering column did not try to skewer you then it would pass. You do not see collapsable hubs on euro boxes, pre air bag. I can understand covering the hub in something soft/forgiving.

Can some one explain

Hi Stuart,

OK, this is my understanding. In the early RH days the 'collapsible column' was deemed fit for purpose by the SVA people as it absored front end impact. These days however, the SVA is becoming more stringent. In addition to the above, not only do they want to see 'collapsibility' for front end impact, they also want to see that the boss is collapsible, if the driver were to be thrown forward onto the steering wheel. Yes I know, most seating positions in Seven type cars have you quite some way from the steering wheel (arms pretty much at full stretch), but there you go. Note that not all SVA people seem to be too bothered about this, so some get away without a collapsible boss and some don't. I've bought a collapsible boss just in case.

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Yep Grizzly is right. My SVA examiner said he was happy that the steering shaft would collapse in the event of a frontal impact, but if the driver hit the steering wheel then it was rigid and therefore would cause potential injury. He said that because the Focus column was intended for use with a drivers airbag it is rigid at the steering wheel end, and he wanted to see a collapable boss fitted, so if the driver impacted the steering wheel there was some give in it.

Phill.