Fuel Economy

Guest paul091085

Guest paul091085

Drove 150 miles from watford to stoke yesterday and on a full tank it ran out of petrol as i literally pulled into my road. How many miles should you get from a full tank of juice? as 150 miles doesnt seem a lot. I think i have the larger tank tank (is there a way of telling). Speed wise, i was doing 80 for most of the journey.

Paul

Sounds about right to me. Driving a Hood at 80 is not dissimilar to attempting to push a vertical stable door along at that speed. You will use a lot of energy, hence fuel!

A bit of a dull fact but as you increase yur speed, the energy you need raises by a square rule, so if you dropped to 65/70, you would probably notice a significant increase in economy.

Andy

Guest alan rowe

Andy's absolutely right - the slower you go the better the fuel consumption ---- ???? but who wants to (if I got over 100 miles out of my previous S7, I was doing really well)

A

I did a little experiment and filled mine to the brim, then ran it till it conked out - a mix of driving including stop-starting, b-road blasts, high speed motorway, slow round town, etc. It finally spluttered to a stop a shade under 240miles (the guage read empty at 150!).

That's the 40 litre (large) tank, standard 2ltr carbed pinto, in a porky 2B.

Guest timswait

I get about 30-35 mpg doing a steady 70 on a motorway, I do notice a drop in economy if I do 80 instead. Driving a bit more enthusiastically on smaller roads and it's in the 20s, on a track it's probably not much out of single figures! Now your tanks empty you'll know how big it is when you fill it up. The "small" RH one is 30 litres, the "big" one is 40. The big one goes right the way across the car, the small one is the same width and height, but shorter, so leaves a gap at one side of the car.

Guest Andy Rathbone

mine must be the mobil economy car then, 1.6 in a porky 2b with a massive 45 litre tank.

i can knock on the door of 200 miles before i start looking for a garage.

i may not be the fastest but i keep going and going and going and going, just like the duracell bunny

:D

Guest paul091085
I get about 30-35 mpg doing a steady 70 on a motorway, I do notice a drop in economy if I do 80 instead. Driving a bit more enthusiastically on smaller roads and it's in the 20s, on a track it's probably not much out of single figures! Now your tanks empty you'll know how big it is when you fill it up. The "small" RH one is 30 litres, the "big" one is 40. The big one goes right the way across the car, the small one is the same width and height, but shorter, so leaves a gap at one side of the car.

Mine definitely goes all the way across so it'l be a 40 litre then

i dont have a hood or sidescreens fitted, but would having them help much with fuel economy?

Andy's absolutely right - the slower you go the better the fuel consumption ---- ???? but who wants to (if I got over 100 miles out of my previous S7, I was doing really well)

A

Alan

It goes a bit further now i've altered the fuel filler pipe . It holds about 2 more gallons than it did.

Barry

Guest timswait
i dont have a hood or sidescreens fitted, but would having them help much with fuel economy?

Yes, for sure at motorway speeds. I have a manifold vacuum gauge on mine (more as a toy than for any good reason, but it does give some indication of fuel consumption). Don't notice much difference with the sidescreens, but the roof makes quite a noticable difference on the gauge.

Yes, for sure at motorway speeds. I have a manifold vacuum gauge on mine (more as a toy than for any good reason, but it does give some indication of fuel consumption). Don't notice much difference with the sidescreens, but the roof makes quite a noticable difference on the gauge.

Do you find the hood increases or decreases the economy ("economy" ... ? thats not why we are here)

Regards,

Nat

Guest chris brown
Do you find the hood increases or decreases the economy ("economy" ... ? thats not why we are here)

Regards,

Nat

Hood and sidescreens defiantly help with economy I once got 35mpg coming back from Stafford in the pouring rain never over 60mph. But who would drive with the hood on through choice? Might as well have the comfort of a tin top. Driving a Hood with a top on is awful a surrey is better but would wouldn’t use either through choice only its bloody almost impossible to drive in rain without some sort of top on unless you ware a crash helmet.