Braided Brake Lines

Guest tom2b

Guest robinj66

Rally design are your best bet. They do goodridge kits and will also make up braided hoses (to any length you want) with swaged ends for £8.50 per line (+ VAT, I think).

I ended up getting a Euroquip set for Sierra (from Rally design) for £24 + VAT - i am told the only difference is that the Euroquip set use olives and are not swaged. Only point for me is that i don't think Euroquip would be acceptable at SVA but you're past that stage anyway.

RALLY DESIGN 01795 531871 or www.rallydesign.co.uk

I dont know much about brakes, whats the difference between olives and swages? I want to order some bits from rally design but need a big enough order to justify there £8.50 flat rate postage!

Guest peter2b2002

be careful with ordering i had a sierra kit from good ridge and the rear line were too short!! best to measure what you have and get them to make them up to your spec also some are imperial some metric, i ended up going to Silverstone with my old ones in hand and they made them while i waited.

pete2b

My two custom assembled front hoses from Rally Design cost £8 each. With postage that would make about £25....still a fair bit cheaper than £18 each.

The Euroquip fittings are reusable, you just need a new olive (the same method as a plumbing fitting)

Goodridge hoses are one off non-reusable. My SVA was in 2002, so things may have changed but they were happy with the Euroquip hoses then.

HTH Bob

Guest robinj66
I dont know much about brakes, whats the difference between olives and swages? I want to order some bits from rally design but need a big enough order to justify there £8.50 flat rate postage!

I'm no expert but i think swaged ends are what you have on your rubber hoses (as per your pics) - the connectors are "clamped" onto the hoses.

Olives are metal rings which are placed between the connector and the hose - as the end is tightened onto the hose the olive compresses and forms a seal. This used to be used in plumbing , Eg, Radiator pipes.

The only reason I raised the difference is that I thought the SVA man would not accept braided hoses with olive connections. Can't remember were I saw that - will have to do a bit of research unless anyone else knows.

Guest salty_monk
So if you take goodridge hoses off after using them you cant reuse them? :o

Yes, you can re-use the hoses but not the fittings. The fittings on the ends of the Euroquip ones can be re-used with new hoses if you fit a new olive (makes replacement cheaper, you only pay for the hose & the olive 2nd time around). They screw into place clamping down onto the pipe, the olive creates the seal.

The goodridge ones are swaged (read clamped in a large circular press) so you cannot re-use them with new hoses, you just bin the whole lot. They look like the ones in your pic just with braided bits in the middle.

To be honest it doesn't matter to you, you shouldn't be replacing them any time soon.

Personally I think they are more of an aesthetic upgrade that an physical one.

Dan :)

Guest Quantox
Personally I think they are more of an aesthetic upgrade that an physical one.

Hi Dan,

I agree with this comment if you are comparing them to a metal line but when you replace an old flexible hose with a new braided (ptfe ? cored) hose you can certainly feel the difference on a bike. In fact you can see a 20 year old flexible hose bulge ominously under pressure from a hand gripped m/c on a bike. Of course, sat in a car you can't see the hoses when you hit the brakes.

My build will certainly have an upgrade on the flexible hoses and the originals will go straight in the bin.

Best Regards

Colin

Guest salty_monk

It's not the braid that stops the bulging & loss of pressure though, it's what's inside them. Just cause it looks pretty doesn't mean it's good.

Yes I agree good brake lines are an upgrade that you should be able to feel at the pedal (probably less so with a servo than on a bike).

Guest Quantox

[it's not the braid that stops the bulging & loss of pressure though, it's what's inside them. Just cause it looks pretty doesn't mean it's good.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for agreeing with me. That's what I said, or at the very least, implied. Typically, "braided" hoses are cored with a ptfe or similar thermoset plastic hose that doesn't deform under pressure. Generically, as I'm sure you're aware, this type of hose is described as "braided". In most peoples eyes the description refers to the hose type rather than just a pretty exterior.

Next week I'll teach my Gran how to suck eggs.

Best Regards

Colin