Friendly Sva Test Centres?

Jon Bradbury

Hi

I read somewhere (probably on the old discussion forums) that one builder went to the SVA test centre in Southhampton and he overheard the testers laughing proudly that they had never let a kit car through first time. I don't know if this is a reflection on them or the quality of kit car builds in general, but I am concerned because this particular test station is the nearest one to me and it doesn't sound as if they are very sympathetic to Hood builders.

Can anyone recommend a more sympathetic station? Its getting to be a problem I think because testers appear to be failing cars on discretionary points rather than specific compliance pass / fail criteria.

Or am I being paranoid?

Comments, anyone...?

Hi Jon,

I know it's a fair run in a brand new untried car, but I can recommend Gillingham (Kent),

a number of 2B's have passed there at the

first or second attempt, all with useful feedback from the testers.

They get all the factory built Caterham 7s, and Tigers, so they know 7s inside out.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Jon

I had my SVA test last week Chadderton North Manchester, and even though i failed(now passed retest) John (passed Ian Hales from Chorley the week before) who did the test was fair and very helpful. He commented on the build quality and gave me time to put most things right.Even going as far as to ajust my carb as i developed a missfire and redoing the sound test because of it, I eventually failed on the speedo reading which i couldnt do then but was made right for the retest plus a couple more bits,

But it was'nt as daunting as i expected.

He did say most fail first time but i cannot say he was'nt fair in his decision's

Mitch

Blackburn

Guest Dave Pickett

Hi, My original plan was to go to Croydon, but after a discussion with a senior SVA engineer who gives kit car builders advice on the test he suggested "I didnt say this but you might get a better reception at Gillingham"

My s111a went in last year and although it failed first time, the SVA guy (Dave Clarke of a car is born fame) was very fair, and I actually felt was concerned as much about safety (mine!) as the regs themselves. Dont know about Southampton but certainly Gillingham is OK by me and can be reached across country easily (avoiding motorways on that first nervous trip!!)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bernie

The last time I enquired I was told that the Leicester centre had stopped performing car SVAs and that the nearest SVA centres were Derby, Nottingham, or Birmingham.

Guest Mr Pid

Oh bu**er, ive got to go to the one in Botley, near Southampton.

Might make the trip up north if its gonna be easier!

Its a shame being a pompey supporter, and seeing how well they are doing, compared to how cr*p southampton are doing, i have no chance of passing there, in fact i doubt if they would ever let me book it in!?

Ill try putting a nice big "Play up Pompey" sticker on the back of the hood, at least they have the shame of driving around with that showing.

Scummers! B)

Guest mickmellors

Hi Jon

I dont suppose its any comfort to you down in Worthing but up here in Derby we are very fortunate to have what appears to be one of the friendliest and most professional SVA Test Centres in the Country. I have never heard or read a bad word about the Centre and have personally witnessed the procedings on 3 different occasions as members from around our area have taken their cars for SVA.

The Engineers at Derby definitely dont have the bullish attitude that seems to get recorded from Southampton area Members reporting on their SVA's.

There is a genuine desire to see safely built cars out on the road and opportunity is given to you to get the spanners out if needed to give something minor a last minute tweak in order to comply with regulations rather than wryly smiling and simply stamping FAILED on the Documentation. Obviously they are not going to pass anything that is dangerous or contrary to regulation but sound engineering backgrounds and a smattering of common sense are the order of the day at Derby.

It is a real shame that some Test Centres put Kit builders through torment when others (eg Derby) make it a truly pleasurable and friendly experience.

Is there another Centre like Derby out there - surely there must be - I certainly hope so or we will be so busy I will be waiting months for an appointment !

Mick - Derby

Joel,

I just spotted your post re the Birmingham SVA centre.

I had my SVA test there in May/June last year. I found the tester very friendly and very helpful. I had a number of fail points (mostly minor things) but the tester gave me lots of ideas and advice on how to fix them.

The tester was happy to discuss all aspects of the test all the way through and was also willing to let me make a couple of minor tweaks while he took his tea break.

I passed at second attempt with no problem and I drove away in a car that I had every confidence in.

Richard