R Hood Supplied Mirrors & Sva

Guest nik4chef

Guest nik4chef

Just getting ready for my second SVA - first one didn't get far enough to okay (tester abandoned 'cos fuel escaped under pressure from filler!) the wing mirrors supplied with my Superspec by Robin Hood.

So has anyone passed SVA with supplied mirrors? Don't want to replace unneccessarily - bearing in mind I am not fitting Screen yet!

Any ideas gratefully received - Stan :mellow:

Hi

I had replaced the arms as I wanted them mounted on the windscreen - but the lens' and the their surrounds where as supplied and went through fine. I think Will had extended his arms to get good clearence over the backend

e

To get you through SVA, it's reasonably easy to extend them. Cut the arms in half and use epoxy to fix a length of 6mm threaded rod to extend. You can crimp the arms around the rod where the cuts are to help keep it together as they have a c-shaped cross section. Then wrap the extended arms in self amalgamating tape (note : not insulation tape as it's considered temporary) and attach to the scuttle, like this:

post-43-1173103781_thumb.jpg

The mirror is positioned such that the screen mounting bracket, when fitted, will cover the holes (because my car was presented for SVA without heater, wash / wipe or screen). It also gives the very best view over the rear arches. So good, in fact, that the rear view mirror was exempt from testing.

To be safe I plugged the holes with clear silicone. I got away with that, but there are some examiners who think it is not compliant, so I guess I was lucky.