Insurance

Guest Tim Norman

Guest 2b cruising

Will give them a call on Saturday They where more expensive last year lets see this year.

Thanks

always have an honest 2nd quote to hand. Tin top this year, after 10 years with Tesco £335. Up by £75 on last year. Rang coop and they came in with same policy cover + only £100 excess instead of £300. All for £173. Along with this comes a £50 groceries voucher. Can't beat that anywhere.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I've just been on the insurance roundabout, having just got my renewal quote from Adrian Flux for my 2B, being £226 for myself, and two sons (both over 30) on a limited mileage, including breakdown. Not one to just accept what is offered I phoned A-plan and got a like for like quote down to £215. Still not happy I thought I would try the new guys 2Gether Insurance. Speaking to Joe, I had an experience I had not had before when dealing with insurance before. To prevent me wasting your, and my time what do you expect to pay, and what would it take to get you on board, was the question. Having had quotes from two main players, I thought, and came up with sub £200 would be good . After taking all my details he came up with a quote of £195 all in. At this point I accepted and signed on the dotted line, and then duly phoned Flux to cancel the automatic renewal of my policy, something I detest, but more insurance companies seem to be doing this. They say it's to give us customers piece of mind, and to prevent us going out uninsured, but those of us in the know, know differently. Anyway whilst cancelling the renewal, I was asked why I was leaving, I explained that I had a better quote elsewhere, and was then told about their guarantee to beat any like for like quote, this is something I already knew, but this is not how I work! Any way she insisted on sending me an updated quote, pointing out that I had a fourteen day cooling off period with the new company. This came in at £191 a £35 saving on the original renewal price. Sorry Flux too little to late. Why do insurance companies not give their best price first time, I know we all have to make a living, but even at their lower quote they are still making a profit. Wouldn't it be refreshing to go to an alternative insurer and hear "you've got a good quote there, and we can't beat it", doesn't happen does it? Iv'e also got the tin top insured with Flux, so I expect I'll go through the whole saga again.

I have used Directline for a few years for the family car and I like the quote they provided, you paid x last year and we have searched our brokers and can offer x ( always cheaper) this year. Still Adrain Flux for kitcar, great service but always look around.

• 5 months later...

I've just done my calling around. Flux wanted £185 with a limited mileage of 2000 miles per year. Wow. That's an outrage. Footman James want £140. And I dunno about their policy these days but flux used to be a NIGHTMARE to deal with in the event of a claim. Footman James was the company of choise from a forum I was on a few years ago and a delight to deal with in all reality.

I still think £140 is too much, it's a toy not a daily ride, same as my fireblade, yet I can insure my blade for under a hundred quid, no claims protected, including driving to work for the odd sunny day, and that's a £12k 190bhp bike!

• 2 years later...

A have another insurance based question. My MX5 based zero is running well these days, 140bhp and it pulls strong enough but I’d like more. Turbo has long been on the to do list and I want to do pictures and a write up at the same time. However insurance is going to go up. Who do people use with turbos fitted and how much do you pay?