Insurance

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Peter Whiteley

Hi I have just insured my Super Spec with RoadSure £267 inc recovery 30 days cover on chassis to help with SVA. It past on monday anyway.

Flux offered £283 inc recovery with 30 days cover on chassis

Sykes offered £200 with recovery but only 14 days cover on chassis

Footman offered £415 with recovery on 14 days cover on chassis

The problem when choosing insurance when you have to go through SVA is the possibilityof failing, then you could loose your money if you do not register the vehicle within the time scale allocated.

I am 56 have had insurance from 1969 no accidents or convictions and drive a BMW 2.5 diesel tourer I thought I would get insurance on a Super Spec for less than £150 sadly mistaken.

will try again next year

Peter Whiteley

Hi all, just got a quote for my 2B from Osborne & sons, Link insurance for £135.95.

Thats for 5000 miles, fully comp, with discount for being RHOCAR member.

They said the discount is usually larger, but that's the least they charge for a policy.

Nicko.

• 2 months later...
Guest crwoodford

Hi.

For my own benefit, I had collated all the comments and recommendations in this thread (as at 21.00 31/12/05) to enable me to make a judgement based on others experiences. Without wishing to be presumptious I thought some Members may find the results useful. (Webmaster possibly consider making sticky?)

Points accuracy is within about +/- 15% as not all comments could be translated as positive or negative. The totals given are based on positive comments. Negative comments have not been taken into consideration. High score being good.

Roadsure (25)

Alledged paperwork delays, expensive renewal quotes and phone delays.

Adrian Flux (6)

Alledged expensive Renewals.

Graham Sykes (5)

Alledged expensive Renewals.

Ozbournes (Osbournes?) (3)

Check they really know the spec of your car.

Footman James (1)

Seemingly expensive but will cater for younger driver.

Heritage (1)

Sureterm (1)

CIS (1)

Summary:

Shop around.

In all cases of Roadside recovery. Find out exactly what is provided.

At renewal time, seek prices from several companies.

If you got cheaper insurance on the strength of your RHOCAR membership, ensure you maintain your RHOCAR membership for the term of your cover.

If Ben or a Little girl answers ask to speak to a grown up.

Popular choices seem to be:

Roadsure

Adrian Flux

Graham Sykes

This information is in no way meant to support or criticise any individual Insurance Company. But is merely an overview of current RHOCAR Members comments. I hope this information is helpful.

Regards

Col (Taunton)

Guest Battery Bill

Col

Roadsure (25)

Alledged paperwork delays, expensive renewal quotes and phone delays.

Our quote went "Down" last time with Roadsure and the milage went up to 8000 miles because of RHOCAR membership.

I have not had any problems phone wise and when the documents arrived with a small error a phone call soon fixed that.

Bill :D

Guest crwoodford

Mmmmmm...I guess that means it should read:

Roadsure (26)

I got an online quote from them of £99 + £38 Recovery.

Cheap yes.....but I am not happy..... I had extreme difficulty choosing Robin Hood as the Manufacturer (Yes I did select the Kit Car Section).. also the 'Is the car modified' section is a little ambiguous to say the least!

Of course the car is modified, the sheer nature of a Kit Car is that it is essentially one big modification!! I think a phone call is needed... just hope I dont get Ben or the little girl.

Col (Taunton) Ex CPL. 51 Port Sqn. 17 Port Regiment. Royal Corps Of Transport 1971-1976 :)

Guest chris brown
Of course the car is modified, the sheer nature of a Kit Car is that it is essentially one big modification!
No it is not unless you have gone along way from the way RHSC intended it to be built then it is not modified as you are insuring it as a Robin Hood and not a Ford (the questions are aimed at all cars not just kits).

As for having problems with Roadsure I have always found them very good and very efficient I normally pay my renewal over the phone and they even asked if I was still a member of RHOCaR last year so ensuring I got my discount. (do not say you are a member if you are not or your membership has lapsed as they will not pay out other than third party YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

Thats a good quote Col, as for Modified, its a big area, some will take into account that we have twin carbs fast cams and so on, but if you mention turbos, the can start to get a bit worried.

But there terms of modified need to be clearer.

As all insurance, we dont really know how good they are, until we need to make a claim.

As for Ben, I am no longer with that company, and i did manage to get a full refund ;)

At the moment with Flux, but as with all insurance get quotes from them all and goback and forth getting it reduced.

Unless you get a decent quote (has you have) and go for it.

Mitch

Guest Battery Bill

Col

Cheap yes.....but I am not happy..... I had extreme difficulty choosing Robin Hood as the Manufacturer (Yes I did select the Kit Car Section).. also the 'Is the car modified' section is a little ambiguous to say the least!

Yes I agree with this problem, and I just ended up ringing them up but had no problems after that, this is our second year with them and the first year the insurance was on the chassis number for about 8 months, again with no problems.

I think the "Is the car modified" question would probably be asked by a lot of them, Standard Questionnaire covers most cars will probably be their excuse :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest crwoodford

Personal Update: I rang Roadsure after getting my Online Quote of £137.60 including Roadside Recovery. I thought 'Here We Go' as a nice chap from South-Africa told me the System was down and someone would ring me back.

I was eventually rung by Ben (EEEEEK!) :( and bless his cotton socks, he was very helpful and explained the 'Modified' abiguity quite nicely. (Might have been a different Ben though?) but he was a nice helpful chap.

Roadside Recovery: RAC based who will fix at the roadside or tow/onward journey to a destination of your choice, garage, original destination or home. Not homestart, but anywhere more than .5 miles from your home. Only the car in the policy is covered. This is added to the Online Quote automatically and you need to verbally cancel this if not required.

No-Claims: Apparently my currently accrued 'No Claims' for driving a proper car (Saab 93) <ducks to avoid things being thrown> count for Zip in the Kit Car world. However, I am required to declare any mishaps to all my insurers.

Modified: Basically the insurers are aware of what in essense 'Kit Car' means and represents. And are apparently happy to accept build modifications as standard. Things such as Alloy Wheels, Seats, Seat Belts, Steering Wheels etc. These would not be seen as essential to declare individually on the policy.

Photo's of the car itself including any valuable bits held on file by Roadsure would help in any claims though. This would also help in supporting your claim of what you say the car 'Was' worth on your personal valuation. No photo's could mean a 'Current Value' payout and not the £24K you claim it was worth!

Things such as Turbo's, Nitrous Oxide or any 'go-faster' bits that the mechanics amongst you may have fitted inside the Engine? should be declared to avoid the Insurers pulling the plug on any claims you may make. Someone did say once.. if they can avoid a payout, they will.

Anyway.. I'm a happy bunny.

Thanks to all.

Col (Taunton)

Hmm. Having a bit of a nightmare now over insurance. Roadsure have just quoted me £191 and stated that the I must register the car within 14 days of starting the policy or it will lapse. They said this was 'standard' now for kit car policies!

On the other hand Footman James quoted £185 but saif that they would insure the car on the chassis number and issue a 30 dya cover note. If I hadn't managed to get through SVA and registration before then I could just ring up and they would issue another 30 day cover note.

Cheapest so far would be from FJ (based on a 1500 mile limit and TPF&T) - £90 :angry:

NOw spoken to Osborne and Sons - 3000 mile F/C for £135. They also mentioned the 14 day requirement but said that they appreciated how demanding it is to complete SVA and register within 2 weeks - they would continue to provide cover but would expect a phone call to explain and ask for an extension. Seems reasonable to me and the best value quote. :unsure:

• 5 weeks later...

Just to add to this, I would recommend Osborne & Sons. Best quote by far (£135 is their minimum policy cost), next day delivery of cover note and proposal and happy to issue me a 30 day cover note on the chassis number. Top marks.

• 1 month later...

have used roadsure the last year or two haggle as well and get cheaper £105 this year. word of warning changed address and they tried to charge £30, told them i would copy letter on our site they backed off.

• 4 weeks later...