Fitting Power Steering To Pinto

Guest Mike G

Guest Mike G

Still in process of seling my Exmo. Potential buyer asked was it possible to fit power steering to my car. He has frozen shoulder problems, and while he loved the car, the amount of effort required to steer at slow speeds was putting him off. Looking in Haynes editions of both Cortina & Sierra shows the pump and multiple pulley arrangement. So it is technically possible, but is there room and are there any serious problems? Anybody tried it?

Cheers

Mike G

Guest salty_monk

Not tried it but it should be possible. You may need to fabricate brackets for the pump to get it to fit. The rack will fit no probs if yours uses a Sierra rack or might need adapters if not.

My Grandma had it retrofitted to her Micra (G reg) when it wasn't available & that was only 800 quid for a one off....

Dan :)

Mike,

You could also consider an electric alternative if packaging is a problem. Some vehicles use an electric PAS pump. Others, MGF for example, use a totally electric system where the steering column includes an electric motor for assistance. Not 100% sure but think the Corsa has something similar :unsure:

HTH

Trev

Guest Dan_Beeston

Just a quick word of warning with electirc steering systems, the TRW electric pump as fitted to early BMW Minis and some new Fords is CAN driven and requires information from vehicle speed sensors and steering angle sensors, together with some config stuff in order to run............

I would imagine the fully electric systems are similar, you may need to be a bit of an electronic wizard (or have lots of cash!) to get them to run OK..........

Cheers,

Dan

It's true, for a full EPAS system it's not just a case of bolting on some bits. My recollection of the EPAS on MGF is that it's "relatively" simple (no CAN) but still requires a torque sensor on the column. It takes hard wired road speed and engine speed signals that would have to match the calibration of the ECU which then controls the amount of assistance delivered by the motor (as speed increases the assistance reduces).

Quite a complex task to take on for sure.

Another consideration is the load on the vehicle's electrical system, particularly at lower speeds whilst turning. The MG one isn't too bad (fed by a 40A slow-blow fuse) but the early Mini ones (hybrid electro hydraulic?) certainly pulled some juice!

Edited by RedTrev

Guest salty_monk

Fiat Punto's have electric ones too.... They are probably also speed sensitive but also have that "Girly button" which I would guess over-rides all that stuff & makes the steering permanently lighter. As the hood steering would be heavier than the Punto in the first place it could work.....

Using Sierra gear has got to be simpler though I would think.

The place my grandparents used for the "one off" was in Greenwich I believe.

Dan :)