Top Speed?

Guest etiestephens

Guest timswait

Yes, on the flat mine goes quicker in 4th than 5th, about 1 lepton! Down a steepish hill on the Nurburgring I got 120 (mph, not leptons!) out of it in 5th. That's a 115bhp EFi Pinto, so the questioner's 105bhp should be good about 100mph.

Corners and accleration is where these cars really come into their own though.

Guest chris brown
What gear are people achieving terminal velocity?

If you are hitting the terminal velocity because of aerodynamic drag then it would be more efficient to gear the car for top speed in 4th using 5th as a cruising gear.

I think most are Paul; I have a 3.62 diff and can just about reach the same speed in 4th and 5th it just gets there a little quicker in 4th and uses lots more fuel.

BTW 115 is maximum under normal conditions but did get 125 indicated one frosty morning but suspect this may have also been helped by a strong following wind. (Note to enforcer we have some long private roads around here, well they were built under the private enterprise initiative) :wub:

As others have said top speed of the brick sorry car is not the point it's the twisty bits when it comes into its own and becomes real fun

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Etie

Hoods aren't about M.P.H. more about S.P.M. (Smiles per mile)

Build it, use it, and enjoy it.

Just my humble opinion though.

Ian J

Guest salty_monk

My first one would go faster in 4th than 5th with a 3.62 diff fitted. With 3.92 it would go faster in 5th.

New car has a 3.62 & also goes faster in 5th... must be cycle wings over clam shells I think.

Dan :)

• 1 month later...

I have just had my car on the rolling road, 2L pinto with twin 40'S

Test results 134.4 BHP @ 6062 RPM AND 124.0 LB FT @ 5110

How does this compare to most pinto engines?

Glad that I took it down to the rolling road, what a difference :D :D :D

Edited by Glen

Guest allenr03

Not long, but I reckon the aerodynamic shape of the seven stylee car would slow it down quite a lot between 80 and 100. It will rocket to 80 though.

cool stuff. im thinking of using an engine that kicks that out at all most stock. i think 30 to 100 is as much more road or track like acc event

damo

Guest Tim Norman

When Bobson's new V8 lands in a fortnight I'll let you know. I've already seen 120mph and that was with an old knackered 150brake V8. The new one has 250brakes and a whole lot more talks. Pity there is no track at Donington this year to test it again.

PS Matt, if he buys a new keyboard are you going to use a grammer checker? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
I think most are Paul; I have a 3.62 diff and can just about reach the same speed in 4th and 5th it just gets there a little quicker in 4th and uses lots more fuel.

BTW 115 is maximum under normal conditions but did get 125 indicated one frosty morning but suspect this may have also been helped by a strong following wind. (Note to enforcer we have some long private roads around here, well they were built under the private enterprise initiative) :wub:

As others have said top speed of the brick sorry car is not the point it's the twisty bits when it comes into its own and becomes real fun

watch out for the twisty bits there might be something coming other way. like i found out ouch