240v Mains Relay Wiring

Guest AWhite

Guest AWhite

Ok well i'm hoping someones wiring genius goes beyond 12v.

Basically what i need to do is create a box of tricks with a footswitch and mains relay that can power 2 light boxes similar to those attached. The boxes have an inbuilt sound to light circuit.

So my idea is to use a latching guitar footswitch which has a 1/4" jack on the end, then in some sort of plastic box have a 1/4" jack plug wired to a relay with mains power going through it so i can switch power off to the lights via a footswitch.

The lights will be about 70w each max so will be about 5-600w per box max. The light units will be connected together so only one power will need to come out the box.

Firstly, is what i'm trying to achieve possible?

Where do i get a mains relay and how the hell do I wire one up? :unknw:

I can solder if that helps. :unsure:

Thanks guys,

Andy

post-511-1178633207_thumb.jpg

post-511-1178633631_thumb.jpg

Guest AWhite

Oh i forgot to add it might be useful to have a double mains plug in the box so I can plug more than one thing in if needed.

Thanks,

Andy

Guest peter2b2002

there use to be a place in Northampton that did electrical /electronic parts,i can't remember the name ( try yell.com) you can get 12v dc relays that switch 240ac volts, a few years ago i used them on a zoned central heating system that i made for my house

pete2b

Guest Guy

Maplin do a good relay for this, N10AW.

It's a power relay that can switch 240V at 10A but the coil is 12V, there is a good specification on the website. You'll need to run it from a 12V power supply that's isolated, i.e. you don't want to kill yourself or anyone who uses it.

HERE

You'll need a flyback diode on the relay to stop the spikes welding your foot switch together This one should do it it's a 1N5408 (maplin part number QL87U), the power supply will have to be DC for the diode to work properly.

Somthing a bit like this

post-99-1178637550_thumb.jpg

Guest AWhite

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Is it possible to get passive ones, i'm starting to think that wiring this up might be a bit beyond my capability.

:huh:

Is it possible to take the power source for the relay from the mains coming in or will it have to be plugged in twice. Do you think the relay will accept 1kw?

Guest AWhite

Does that one not need the relay? Sorry if i sound stupid electronics is not my thing.

It is possible to get smaller lamp clusters unfortunately there is only one power lead going to one cluster which then feeds the other one.

Guest craig cowley

what about useing an air operated switch these are used for waste disposal units therefore no need for relay and 100 % safe even if you spill your beer on the switch

or you could try a solid state relay use a pp3 battery to switch it will normally switch very large loads and would not hurt your footswitch only 9v low ampage these are also avilable from maplins!!