Sva Last Monday 14.5.07-superspec Rover "t"series

Guest nik4chef

Guest nik4chef

Hi all. well........on my first Sva in Dec ,06 during emissions test fuel came pouring out of fuel filler! (no breather) so test abandoned! :o (they refunded £100 of fee) but tester told me all poss fail points he had found up to then.(about 35!!!)

So sorted all points he mentioned and drove it up this time! (had read on here that cat can need a few miles to get working) Got to Gosforth about 8.15 and started test seemed ok till emissions test - he asked me to hold revs for nearly 10 mins at about 3000rpm then did test! Oh no! coolant dumped on floor thru overflow!! Up in Newcastle SVA they don't have big portable cooling Fans like in other test centres so cooling down to cars fan! only! I thought thats it he will abandon test again! But no.........it had passed emissions ok and after re-filling expansion tank he carried on........

I ask him to avoid noise test in case it overheats again -Has anyone had a problem passing?

Result! only fail points were brake imbalance rear wheels, a couple of cable ties that I could have done there and then and

need a declaration from GBS with revised front axle weight!

I am over the moon! a couple of easy fixes I hope! Very suprised that mirrors passed

So will take it back next week!

Regards Stan :D

Guest mastarforth

Nik4chef

unlucky with the result of your test

My question is this, did he tell you what the problem was with your axle weights, I failed too on this with my 2B and GBS said no problem with a letter as required. however, I am beginning to wonder if the check in newcastle are done with uncallibrated equipment.

seems strange that 2 cars have failed on this when all of the ones before it seem to pass in all of the other test stations dont you think?

Can anyone tell me more about the axle weight calculations they do?

Andrew

Hi Stan

Oh so close! But hopefully it wont take long now!

As Will says there are two ways to do the plumbing, the original as specified by RH just circulates the water in and out of the expansion bottle and eventually out of the over flow :(

RH's way had a T section out of the bottom of the bottle that connects to the bottom rail from the thermostat housing and the rad. With the small rail from the thermostat connected at the top of the bottle.

What you actually need is for the two rails to be connected together, the bottom of the bottle connect only to the rad and the small top bottle blanking off.

Hope that makes sense :)

e

Guest allenr03

Good news about your SVA, I have the same problem with my T series. Its plumbed in the same way as E666's and Wills but when it got hot it dumped the water on the garage floor. I think it might have lots of air in the system as it doesn't feel right when I squeeze the big hoses (not like on my tin top.)

I have to confess I haven't topped it back up and ran it up to temp today. The expansion tank is almost empty when cold and when hot it's almost up to overflow!! I know its an expansion tank but........

Rich

Guest Giggling_Buffoon

Simple solution to the coolant loss - fit a 20 psi rated cap. I think its the one from a Metro Diesel......

I had the same issue with the axle weights at Derby, simple to sort out with a letter from RH or GBS.

Guest allenr03

The expansion tank has an overflow built in so it isn't an issue with the cap. The water just seems to expand a huge amount when it gets hot!!

Guest Giggling_Buffoon
The expansion tank has an overflow built in so it isn't an issue with the cap. The water just seems to expand a huge amount when it gets hot!!

Beg to differ. 1st SVA test ran out of water and had to refill the whole system (about 5 litres of water). The way in which RH have put the cooling system together means that the expansion tank is in the 'pressure' circuit rather than the suction circuit, and the pressure generated by the pump is enough to life of the sprung cap.

If RH had connected the system as Rover intended, then the expansion bottle would be in the suction part of the circuit (this is the change that Will, Derek et al have used, and I might get round to doing at some point because it will probably stop mine from running overcool).

(The water will expands about 3% going from 4°C to about 100°C. Physics suggests that to have caused 5 litres of air space I would have need just over 150 litres total cooling system capacity for those that are interested).

Richard - you should have a metal pipe going across the cylinder head with a bolt in it, which acts as the bleed point. I'll see if I can get a picture for you.

Guest allenr03

I definately haven't got a bleed pipe (I think I need to putone in) and I didn't plumb it in like RH suggested. I have done as Will and other builders have done. The fact that there is an open overflow in the expansion tank would mean that pressure cannot build up in the expansion tank. Looking at the expansion tank today the tank is about 1/3 full an since I haven't filled it since it overflowed I guess I've just found the right level!! I ran it up to temp and let the fan cut in a couple of times and it didn't overflow. One other minor issue is someone connected the wiring on the fan the wrong way round, can't think who that might have been!

Rich